help with finding a camshaft magnum 360

-
Even with stock stall and 3.23, on a full throttle run realistically how much time would spend under 3000 rpm ?? 1-2 seconds maybe, I don't think you'd notice the little loss on the bottom.
Yur talking straight-line ramming thru the gears, so you are right, and most of the time, she will be spinning the tires for all of those two or more seconds.
I'm talking Daily Driver in the which probably 90% or more of my time is spent in second gear at well below 3500 rpm; see note-1
I'm talking cruising at say 32 mph with 3.23s and a TF automatic which will be about 2000 rpm in Second gear. When the moment comes, that you need max acceleration, and with a LOW-stall, you are forced to downshift, and the 2-1 rpm jumps to ~3600 which is still below the torque-peak and if a low-pressure design, is still pretty soft. At this point, stall is irrelevant; whatever acceleration you get is fully dependent on power to weight ratio, and Torque Multiplication.
For a DD or weekend warrior,see note-2
Note-1
I got too much time and money in my HotRod to have less than 318 performance down low.
In fact, my 4-speed DD shift-rpm is 2800, maybe 3000 tops. Because I built a tractor at 180 or more psi, the rpm drops to only 72%, so the powerband down there is 800rpm or so. I once had a cam with low power down there, the 292/292/108 Mopar grind. I got rid of it almost right away. It made great power at 5000 and more, where, as a DD, I hardly ever go. For me, I will gladly sacrifice a lil power up top, to get a good strong bottom end. Since we are not in the Racer's Forum, I let that guide my opinion and advice. A mushy bottom-end, for me is unacceptable.
Note-2
I'd rather have 400 ftlbs down low, than 400hp over the nose. Maybe that's just me, IDK........... More and more, I'm getting that feeling.
I'll say this tho; if my HotRod couldn't bust the 295 street tires loose in Second gear, which is the gear I spend most of my time in, I think I'd park the pos. In my combo, Second gear goes from; 33@2800, to 66@5600, to 85@7200. I don't downshift, except to start off.
With iron Magnum heads@ 9.0Scr and a factory 340cam. the Cylinder pressure @700ft, would be about 140psi, and low rpm performance would be as low or lower than a stock 318LA. Same cam on a 108 paints a better picture at about 145psi, and now the low-rpm performance is about like a 5.2M.
The problem is the Low Cylinder Pressure; which you can overcome with some combination of stall and gears.... at added expense, and added NVH (Noise,vibration, and harshness.) OR, obviously; by taking the engine apart and re-engineering it.
If I wanted a soft bottom end, well I could always install a Smoggerteen... or a slanty, at almost no cost. But then, calling my HotRod a Hot Rod would be a serious misnomer.

The stock Magnum cam pumps closer to 155/160psi which is approaching the max for pumpgas. That's where OP should want to be, NOT 140/145 psi.

Last edited:
-
Back