Help with First Next Step Putting '65 Formula S Back Together

-

dibbons

Reaction score
After prettying much stripping our '65 Barracuda (except for leaf springs, K-member, steering column, brake booster, torsion bars, control arms, front brake drums) and painting inside and out, what to do next? I am thinking perhaps headliner and then windshield and back glass?

If I'm correct, what pieces do we need to install the headliner? I know there are two channels with "teeth" that go along both sides of the roof to pin the headliner on, anything else besides some insulation like Dynamat to press up against the ceiling? I did not expect this painting process to take more than two years and I don't remember the order in which I stripped things (you know how it is). Just asking for a few of the very first steps. Thank you.

13192ed8-3f0f-4d89-af77-9d433f0aa6c9.jpg

Wait on the windshield until the dash is in! Also the rear plastic corners under the glass way less chance of breaking them. In the process of doing a 64.

You do have the roof bows?

Taking things apart is easy, puting it all back, not so much! YOU took it apart and that is better than buying one in boxes someone else took apart! Right!!?????????????//

Roof bows, you mean those four or five rods to support the headliner? I have those, yes. I numbered them.

Last edited:
IMO leave the interior until later to prevent damage . As was said , put dash in b4 windshield. Hang & fit sheet metal . weathershield next

If I was putting a full interior in that car I would put the glass in last.
I'd install everything but the front seats/console and THEN the glass.
Be a lot nicer to install the carpet/trim/interior panels and rear seat thru that big hole and nicer to put the headliner in with a carpeted floor and folded rear seat to set on!!

Not familiar with the 65 but if it’s like my 71 put the bolts for dash frame in from the bottom instead of the top. Just in case.

Am nearing the end of a resto on a '68 cuda. Will finish electrical, then install engine/trans. The interior is last on my list.

The problem in my case is the new windshield and original gigantic rear window have been at a glass shop for two years in storage, and I want to install those pieces before the business goes out of business or whatever. So, I have been told to install the headliner before the front and rear windows, so that is what I am trying to figure out. I plan on employing someone to install the headliner and the glass shop will replace the windshield and rear window.

The electrical, engine, trans, and all the rest of that stuff I can complete myself at home at my own leisure. So back to figure out how to proceed in my particular case. If I am correct about headliner before windshield/backlight I still can't remember what is goes on with the installation of the headliner-only the bows and those two side pieces with teeth or is there other trim/stuff/gaskets/chrome I should dig out also.

As stated, you need to install the dash BEFORE the windshield is installed, otherwise you'll have a hard time getting the front bolts of the dash in as the windshield gasket covers them once installed

IIRC a lot of the electrical runs under or right along sill plates, up and under the headliner... behind things on the firewall, rough in your main harness. Go get your glass and store them at home if you have to.. you'll need them soon enough.

They have been storing it for two years now, every since the new windshield arrived at their shop and about the same time they removed the huge rear glass for me (as I mentioned already in post #12).

The problem in my case is the new windshield and original gigantic rear window have been at a glass shop for two years in storage, and I want to install those pieces before the business goes out of business or whatever. So, I have been told to install the headliner before the front and rear windows, so that is what I am trying to figure out. I plan on employing someone to install the headliner and the glass shop will replace the windshield and rear window.

The electrical, engine, trans, and all the rest of that stuff I can complete myself at home at my own leisure. So back to figure out how to proceed in my particular case. If I am correct about headliner before windshield/backlight I still can't remember what is goes on with the installation of the headliner-only the bows and those two side pieces with teeth or is there other trim/stuff/gaskets/chrome I should dig out also.

They have been storing it for two years now, every since the new windshield arrived at their shop and about the same time they removed the huge rear glass for me (as I mentioned already in post #12).
yes you did but if you think they are about to close or whatever.......
the car looks good BTW, your patience has paid off

Understand your situation, if a shop closes it can get real ugly. Yes, I might consider doing things a little backwards to avoid future problems. Dash first.

Also have you painted the dash board or done any work on it yet?

No suspension repairs yet.
It would be a great time to rebuild the front suspension. You can drop the entire k-frame remove the parts, paint it and reinstall with new parts. Believe me it needs it. Also if you didn't do any dash work it would be the time to do it also.

-
Back