Help with floor jack, leaked and won't pump?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
So I have this cheap Harbor Freight (please don't hate me) "trolley" floor jack. This is the one that has the removable handle and fits into a grey plastic case. I have probably had it for 10 years. 2 ton. It rolls. So last couple times I pull it out to use, I see oil/hydraulic fluid inside the case so it must be leaking but it still worked but I began to notice that I had to do more pumps to get it to raise. Now yesterday I use it and it goes up a few inches, then stops pumping? Meaning I lift the handle to pump and nothing happens, but it still holds the car up.

I do still have a little baggie that came in the case that has an oring. But I can not figure where the screws are? Help me out I am a retard. also I don't have hydraulic fluid handy, can I use something else? tranny fluid? brake fluid? power steering fluid?

only hydraulic fluid
or buy another jack
hell that 1 lasted 10 years can be all that bad

You need jack fluid which a "real" parts store will have.

Jacks are simple, just be careful and watch CAREFULLY for check balls and springs.

The no1 thing that will "gotcha" is this:

Most jacks operate "sealed." That means the reservoir where the fluid rests has an air bubble, and as you extend the jack, that air pressure is reduced, as the fluid is removed, and pushed into the cylinder, extended. The "worst case" scenario would be if you filled it clear up so there was NO air. It would immediately pull a vacuum and "hydraulic lock" on the suction / reservoir side, and the pump would lose prime.

The other end of the story is not enough fluid, simple.......it pumps the jack up until it sucks air.

So you have to balance the amount of fluid in there "just enough" and "not too much."

I have one old import floor jack that I could "never get right". (I think it was designed wrong and never WAS right) So finally I simply "ran" it with the FILLER CAP LOOSE which acts like a vent. Yes, it leaks, and yes, I have to add fluid once in awhile.

There are several very good youtube videos on the subject, by Googeling you can probably find your exact jack. here's the aluminum Pittsburgh from Harbor Freight:

What it basically boils down to is opening the valve by turning the jack handle all the way counterclockwise, removing the oil filler plug, filling the reservoir with oil, and pumping the handle (still open) a few times to clear the air. A quart of Jack oil is $5.95 at Advance or O'reileys.

I have used trans fluid my entire life without one single problem.
It IS hydraulic oil after all, and really the only difference is that it has detergents and friction modifiers in it.
(for a smoother working jack with a cleaner interior) :D LOL

Good info to know! Haven't had any jack issues yet, but I bet if I had, I woulda filled it all the way up and hydro-locked it.

It IS hydraulic oil after all, and really the only difference is that it has detergents and friction modifiers in it.

When I rebuilt my old sears jack, my neighbor that does BIG hydraulic rams and used to do jack repair said use transmission fluid.

Find the leak on your jack and repair it. Some of the seals ar easy to get, others are more difficult.

Hiball over at this site is a really good guy.
Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial. - The Garage Journal Board

Good info to know! Haven't had any jack issues yet, but I bet if I had, I woulda filled it all the way up and hydro-locked it.

You can fill it all the way up if the jack is all the way down when you do it.
The thing to not do is to put more fluid in it that the return reservoir can hold is all.
Filling with it all the way down ensures you don't.

I've used trans fluid, motor oil, 90 weight......whatever I had layin around. And it all worked great.

I use Trans fluid in mine. It is probably 20 years old. When it won't pump up or only goes part way up I add a bit.

It's a cheap floor jack. Fill it with cheap atf, used probably wouldn't even hurt it. You can't really hurt something you're building pressure with by hand. And if you do? You're out a cheap *** jack. Whoop de doo.

ok so thanks for all your help. I found the fill hole, just a small rubber cap covers it. I bought some jack oil for $3.99. I was able to remove the piston thingy that sits beneath the handle, it just came straight out? I replaced the oring and plastic lock ring, and put it back in and put it all together. Works. Now want I dont know is why it leaked? I am thinking I may have stored the jack upside down (it goes in a case) and so maybe that is why the oil all leaked out. Will keep an eye on it. thanks

-
Back