Help with gas guage

-

dusterny

Reaction score
My gas guage has not worked since I owned my car. I promised myself come hell or high water I would get it fixed. I have a new sending unit in the tank and I am getting a pulse on the guage wire to tank. There is a new ground on sending unit so what do I check on the dash? Is there a way to check dashboard?

If you have pulse voltage at the sender that current is coming through the gauge. To ground that wire directly should max the gauge. If the needle simply will not move from its' home/off position it's either stuck or disengaged.

hmmmm.....if the wire to the gauge and gauge itself r working, you could simply ground the sending wire and have the gauge read full.

if gauge is bad, it won't do sht.

then there is the voltage limiter in the dash..... which I believe lowers the voltage down for the gauges, if it go's out, so do the gauges...and possibly fried out gauges.

so go to a junk yard or buy one new and stick it in there, it stabs into the back of the cluster. be sure the condesor is also hooked in side by side with one of the limiters prongs.

Just ask for more detail and I'm sure a bunch of folks will chime in...

:cheers:Just had the same problem on my 1970 duster. The 1970 gauge did not go to full only to 3/4 of a tank. I had a 1974 gauge out of a duster with the condenser, put that in and had my sender out of tank to see movement of gauge and that fixed my car. P.S. have a good ground at the tank. Hope this helped.O:)

:cheers:Just had the same problem on my 1970 duster. The 1970 gauge did not go to full only to 3/4 of a tank. I had a 1974 gauge out of a duster with the condenser, put that in and had my sender out of tank to see movement of gauge and that fixed my car. P.S. have a good ground at the tank. Hope this helped.O:)

don't know if it helps the op, but it helps me, as my gauge only goes to 3/4 of a tank.

UPDATE- I grounded sending wire this AM and guage pegged. I need to take the ground clip off sending unit and get any rust off gas line or switch to a more positive ground as in wire and hose clamps. My floor jack crapped out this AM into a pool of oil and I can't get under the car enough to fix it yet. I think I'm ok now One more thing fixed from to do list. Thanks for all the input guys!

UPDATE- I grounded sending wire this AM and guage pegged. I need to take the ground clip off sending unit and get any rust off gas line or switch to a more positive ground as in wire and hose clamps. My floor jack crapped out this AM into a pool of oil and I can't get under the car enough to fix it yet. I think I'm ok now One more thing fixed from to do list. Thanks for all the input guys!

Cool, Happy moparing

-
Back