Help with Headers

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
I m currenting restoring my 74 duster and right now its pretty much a shell just got panited and i have a question. I want to put headers on my rebuilt 318 that is curretly not in the car but i know about the tight fit so i was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions on what they used and what will give me the best bang for my buck
thanks

Alot of guys will say TTI's, fit great, but you pay for that. Doug's makes nice headders, alittle less expensive.
if your engine is out, you can save money and get some Hooker comps for $165.

if your engine is out, you can save money and get some Hooker comps for $165.

I used the Hooker Comp headers. They do hang low and are super tight in the compartment. You may also need to dent them. This is nothing new for the ol'stand by headers made for years and years without change to them. This is why TTI has major kudos and write ups and they have none.

@ the asking price for them, there a screaming deal over the tti at 3 or 4 times the price to start.

click here; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=1&pp=20

okay so what type of headers are you saying that i should get.
by the way i was looking at your 74 duster and it is the exact same color and engine mine was. I just got it repainted b7 blue and i m putting everything back together

The Hedmans I am using fit well and didn't need an denting. They do wrap under the center link but a stock ride height with good shocks I have never hit anything on the road. The flanges could be thicker but if you tighten evenly (and I doubled up the gaskets) they seal ok (20k miles and counting with no leaks). One real nice feature of the Hedmans is the ball socket connection on the collector, no gasket required and seals tight.

They are less than $150 painted and $300 ceramic coated.

All depends on how much you want to spend,you can pay good money for tti's,for the ease of installation,getting the headers on in an hour not 4-5,quality of the fit/finish and not worry about bottoming out on everything,only needing 1 set of gaskets.. not needing to change them everytime the cheaper ones blow out and they still look great after years of service..or you can buy cheaper ones and deal with the issues,you say your car just came from paint so you probably have time before putting an exhaust system on it,you might want to save up and buy the tti's,i know i would!!!

All depends on how much you want to spend,you can pay good money for tti's,

I agree, I can not afford TTI's so i will go for the Hookers, Later in life i would like TTI's or Dougs. You must ask yourself, How much you want to spend? If you dont want to spend more then $200, well there is alot of choices and they are all about the same. FYI at a recent car show last June, I have the same question, and wanted to see what everyone was using, 80% Hooker 20% TTI. Im sure cost was the reason. After i would see what type, especially non TTI's, I would look uder their car to see if they were all dented up. I would say it was about 60% to 40% (60% being not dented). I was supprised because this is a major concern.

Anyway, i started a thread a while ago named "to header or not to header" and got alot of good info on it. Just look it up in the search if you want.

After i would see what type, especially non TTI's, I would look uder their car to see if they were all dented up. I would say it was about 60% to 40% (60% being not dented). I was supprised because this is a major concern.

I'm surprised also having owned several small block mopars,all getting their headers damaged on one thing or another,but never since using tti's!!!

Thanks for the help everyone i will look into alot of what everyone said i want the TTI's but for me still being in high school i dont think i can afford them

-
Back