Help With Offset

-

67DARTGTCONV

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to consider installing offsets on my car. When I look at the front hangers I am not sure how offsets can work when the spring and hanger is right up against the frame rail.
Can anyone shoot and post pics of their offset install and the front hanger in particular.

THanks

Hello,
I want to consider installing offsets on my car. When I look at the front hangers I am not sure how offsets can work when the spring and hanger is right up against the frame rail.
Can anyone shoot and post pics of their offset install and the front hanger in particular.

THanks
66 Dart 255/60/15,s with 4 1/2 backspace,sorry no front shots.Hope it helps!

trim 063.jpg

Did you figure out your issue? I have been told by mancini that you have to cut a hole in the frame rail.

I just received my offset hangers and shackles today. I can see that a hole will have to be cut in frame rail to recess the nut on the hanger.. Haven't test fitted them in yet, but when I match the studs on the new hangers up to the studs on the old, I noticed that the height of the bolt that houses the front leaf bushing and spring isn't in the stock location. Is this supposed to be this way? Or did Mancini send me the wrong ones. I noticed that they had some marks in the paint as if someone installed or attempted to install them but then returned them. They are not damaged other than some light scratches in the paint, but I want to make sure they are the right ones.
Also, the kit came with new spring perches and they have a small diameter hole at one end, a larger diameter hole in the center, and a square hole at the other end. The studs in my XHD springs (also from Mancini) will use the small diam hole I guess.. just want to know if its ok that the small hole is not in the center of the perch. New to this and learning alot, but need direction. Any help appreciated. Thanks

I just received my offset hangers and shackles today. I can see that a hole will have to be cut in frame rail to recess the nut on the hanger.. Haven't test fitted them in yet, but when I match the studs on the new hangers up to the studs on the old, I noticed that the height of the bolt that houses the front leaf bushing and spring isn't in the stock location. Is this supposed to be this way? Or did Mancini send me the wrong ones. I noticed that they had some marks in the paint as if someone installed or attempted to install them but then returned them. They are not damaged other than some light scratches in the paint, but I want to make sure they are the right ones.
Also, the kit came with new spring perches and they have a small diameter hole at one end, a larger diameter hole in the center, and a square hole at the other end. The studs in my XHD springs (also from Mancini) will use the small diam hole I guess.. just want to know if its ok that the small hole is not in the center of the perch. New to this and learning alot, but need direction. Any help appreciated. Thanks

You have a left and right hanger. I don't know how you are matching the studs up but if you doing what I think then yes it will be off. The welded NUT on the hanger goes into the frame rail on both sides.

Use the center hole of the perch.... that will align everything up back to center location.

Thanks for the reply... I will use the center hole in the perch. I know there is a left and right hanger, I was trying to figure out which was which when I discovered that no matter how I placed them, the bolt and nut would be off from the stock placement. It's about an inch different. (will sit an inch higher on the frame thus lowering the placement of spring relative to the ground)
Ill give install a shot today.

I didn't notice a difference when I did mine but I didn't compare them with the old ones.

Thanks. I used the larger center hole on the perches and the wheels seem to be slightly too forward. They actually looked better when i pushed the perches to the rear and used the smaller bolt.. only problem is that the hole in the plate (shock absorber plate) didn't line up. can i just drill another hole in the plate and use that setting? Anyone else have this problem? Wheels definitely look too far fwd.

Trying to upload pics, but the files are too large. Not sure how to make them smaller.

Go to pictures, double click on the picture you want to show, click on picture, click crop, and make the picture smaller.

Ill take pic of side of whole car tomorrow. Let me know if you think rear end is too far forward. Thanks for the replies.. Its an 83/4 out od 66 B body. Think the fit is great other than the tight clearance in the front.

smaller2.jpg

That looks right.... mine is the same way. Another option is to have machined 1" aluminum (CNC machined) spacers in between the hanger and mounting surface. This will move the axle back and center the wheel. A member did this to his so it can be done. I just not have got around to do mine yet.

Make sure the pinion angle has not moved also. I did one side at a time until I got the perches tacked welded. Then removed the axle and had welded up properly.

Thanks, now that I've looked around on here a little more they do look to have the right placement. I wouldn't mind having spacers made up though. Guess i will also need longer studs pressed into the hangers for those to work? Also, what pinion angle is best? They are XHD springs nd a 440 going in. Should have alot of torque. 3-5 degrees sound ok?

Thanks, now that I've looked around on here a little more they do look to have the right placement. I wouldn't mind having spacers made up though. Guess i will also need longer studs pressed into the hangers for those to work? Also, what pinion angle is best? They are XHD springs nd a 440 going in. Should have alot of torque. 3-5 degrees sound ok?

Yeah it would require longer studs.

I can't remember my pinion angle... I just made sure that it was same as it was before I took anything apart. You could make another thread and ask everyone.

Guess the placement is right. Just looked at old photo of 7 1/4 rear with old tires and springs and wheel placement was similar. Guess I'm just not used to staring at the wheel wells.

smaller1.JPG

smaller.JPG

smaller2.JPG

sm.jpg

IMO, seems like it should be moved back a bit. Looks like the tire wheel combo on the bullits looks to be a bit taller, which decreases the distance to the front of the quarter, making it look like the entire rear is too far forward. JMO.

-
Back