but do not hel help

should I buy some kind of rad additive
or what
the timing is at 30* total
165* thermostat
mopar performance 8 blade water pump

HELP
thanks Bob

Did it overheat before you added the homemade shroud? If the shroud is too deep into the fan blade it can reduce the effectiveness of the fans ability top draw air through the radiator. I think you want at least 3/4" of fan blade sticking outside of the shroud area. Post some pics of your setup.

Just re-read your post before I actually posted mine. Sounds like you have an electric fan. My comments were for a stock fan setup so may not apply to you. Post a few pics anyway maybe someone can spot a problem for you.

So you didn't overheat before you changed the radiator? If so, what else did you change at the same time with the radiator???

High stall speed torque converters dump a ton of extra heat into your cooling system.

If the only thing you changed was the radiator, then maybe there is a blockage in it.

More details please.

How can we help you if you won't help us?

WHEN, SPECIFICALLY, is it overheating?
• sitting in heavy traffic or at idle?
• out on the open road going 45+ mph?

What is overheating?
• Is it boiling over?
• does your temperature gauge have numbers on it?

Why does it have a 165 stat in it and what do you think it's doing to help the situation?

1) could there be air trapped in the system?
2) what temp does fan kick on and off?
3)That single fan my not move enough air to keep it cool.

165* stat better at the track
like to have my engine cool at the track
it goes 210* at maybe 50mph
if I slow down it doesnt help and
stay at 205

only thing that I change was
rad and fan
and they are from champion rad
16'' fan,22'' 3 row rad

any idea

what I think is not enough fan could I be wrong
I notice in town it goes to 185* maybe the highest will be 195*
but it seem to be ok like that

but on the high way its a diferent thing

If it was just "not enough fan" it would run hotter in town and cooler on the freeway.
Hotter on the freeway means not enough coolant flow volume.
Make SURE that stat opens all the way.

I think the shroud is making it worse if it's an electric fan.

Has the block ever been flushed?

I went through the overheating wringer for a couple of weeks after I first got my car and it had the original radiator with a mechanical fan (no shroud)
First I backflushed the radiator and a bunch of crap came out of it, so I pulled the hoses and thermostat and used compressed air to blast water backwards through the engine and a bunch of crap came out of it too.

That did it, and it ran fine after that.
I have since put a new 26 inch radiator in it with an electric 17 inch fan, but thats another story.

Try backflushing your radiator into a bucket and see if maybe there is crap plugging up the tubes in yours.
If there is, then flushing the block and heater core will also need to be done.

Me thinks that 8 blade pump is moving to much coolant you see the coolant needs a little time to go thru the rad so the rad can do its job,jm2c

Me thinks that 8 blade pump is moving to much coolant you see the coolant needs a little time to go thru the rad so the rad can do its job,jm2c

I run the 8 with a 190 stat, but then I also have the 26 inch radiator, so it's possible I guess.
Mine made no difference that I saw at all going from the 7 blade to the 8.

do you think???
to much flow
I know they sale this pump for aluminum heads
but I dont see why alu heads will need more flow

could it be better with an electric pump:-k

.040 over size engine its 410''
one of my friend made me think tonight
he remembered me that I have an undersize (poulie) sorry Im french
pully I think in english on the cranck could it be not enough flow even with 8 blades water pump???

205-210 is actually ideal operating temperature. As long *** you are using coolant/anti-freeze, you are nowhere near over heating.

for me 205-210* with ported heads
on the street for and old block like that
if its not over heating it begin to be close

hey challenger gary do you still stuff from champion rads
if so can you pm me a price for the twin fan and shroud combo please
of course for the 22'' rads

T-stat working, even though new I have seen some that stick, don't ask me why I know.

Water wetter at Autozone could drop another 20 degrees.

Hope your over HEATHING stops soon!

Randy

T-stat working, even though new I have seen some that stick, don't ask me why I know.

Water wetter at Autozone could drop another 20 degrees.

Hope your over HEATHING stops soon!

Randy

thanks Randy
hope I could have an autozone close me
but where I leave there is none
water wetter who make that maybe I can buy from napa

napaor most parts store have it or can get it. I had good luck with royal purple ice. Im changing thermostats tomorrow trying to get mine hotter to get heat this winter. it normally runs 175-185 Im gonna take the 180 stat out and try a 195.

..what is the cfm of that electric fan?
you should have at the least 3000 cfm

If it's getting hot at 50 mph, it has nothing to do with your fan/shroud combo unless you are actually blocking the radiator.

You don't even need a fan or shroud at 50 mph.

Are you running 257 degrees? If not, you ain't overheating. With a 15 pound cap, the boiling point of WATER is raised to 257. Coolant even higher. First thing you need to do is ditch that thermostat. Put either a 180 or 195 in it. With a 165, you may as well not even run a thermostat because it's open all the frikkin time. The water aint even stayin in the radiator long enough to cool off.

-
Back