help with parts ID 408

-

mar-tay1

Reaction score
Howdy all! Finally getting back to my 64 Barracudas 408. I bought a used, running engine, scat crank, scat rods icon pistons with scat crank, all in a late LA 360 that had the factory roller cam. Presumably the cheapest 408 kit that places like summit sell, but want (need) a positive ID on the lower end parts. When I got this thing it came with the later 4speed auto, which I sold separate, and when taking the two apart I found a large nut welded to the torque converter, so red flags were flying. Called the seller and he said "just ignore that" I cant ignore that! I still feel I did OK with the purchase as it also had indy max X magnum heads, the stroker kit, block, hughes rockers etc. Now having it all apart found some other wierdness. So I'm going to take this one step at a time as I re-assemble. What crank do I have? is the flex plate compatible balance wise, and is the balancer correct? Any help is appreciated. Tried looking online but was getting confused

1021231611a.jpg

1021231611.jpg

1021231612.jpg

1021231611b.jpg

Howdy all! Finally getting back to my 64 Barracudas 408. I bought a used, running engine, scat crank, scat rods icon pistons with scat crank, all in a late LA 360 that had the factory roller cam. Presumably the cheapest 408 kit that places like summit sell, but want (need) a positive ID on the lower end parts. When I got this thing it came with the later 4speed auto, which I sold separate, and when taking the two apart I found a large nut welded to the torque converter, so red flags were flying. Called the seller and he said "just ignore that" I cant ignore that! I still feel I did OK with the purchase as it also had indy max X magnum heads, the stroker kit, block, hughes rockers etc. Now having it all apart found some other wierdness. So I'm going to take this one step at a time as I re-assemble. What crank do I have? is the flex plate compatible balance wise, and is the balancer correct? Any help is appreciated. Tried looking online but was getting confused

View attachment 1716156680

View attachment 1716156681

View attachment 1716156682

View attachment 1716156683
flex plate and balancer is correct for a external balanced engine, like the 408. At least what I have found...

Really it depends, scat sells parts or complete kits, and sometimes they balance (internally) their own kits. Best advice is to take the crank, balancer, flexplate, and one rod/piston assembly (with rings, pin, clips, bolts and bearings) to a good local machinist and have them check the balance on everything. If it’s incorrect and you assemble it, it will vibrate like a pup poopin a peach seed.

-
Back