Help with parts list. 72 dart 360

-

Jordan

Reaction score
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
Hello all, and thank you for soending a moment to take a look at this very painful task with me. I am a new member, my family has been mopar fanatical since long before I was born. I'm carrying on this family tradition, by getting my 72 dart to what I'd say is little street, more strip ready.

Having said that..

I need all the help I can get with concocting a parts list for this project. Two weeks ago I purchased a very clean, very straight body with nothing more than just that. It has glass, headlights, seats, and a steering wheel and that's about it. This past weekend I picked up a 360 for a killer deal. Guy that had it before just did a basic oem rebuild on it then put it up for sale. Basically a longblock (excuse any wrong use of terms throughout this, please correct me if I do or sound like an idiot because I don't know what I'm saying). So I need a basic list of what I need to get this bad boy road worthy. HP goals of ~400, eventually would like to stuff some nitrous in after I'm comfortable with the car. I have a 904 my buddy is giving me, It needs rebuilt. Other than that I know I need a wiring harness, alternator, battery, fuel pump, oil pump, belts/pulleys, drive shaft, probably new axles and brakes, radiator, fan for said radiator.. I know there is a lot I'm missing so please, if anyone can.. help me out with what all necessary parts I need. I'll throw in a few pics so you guys can have an idea of the project and how overwhelming it is for a noob like me. Thank you much and happy hot rodding.

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

I think you might have left out exactly what you would like the car to be.
A few hundred bucks and that thing could be driving, or thousands later it might have some of the stuff it actually came with.

That is a pretty interesting start though.:D

I think you might have left out exactly what you would like the car to be.
A few hundred bucks and that thing could be driving, or thousands later it might have some of the stuff it actually came with.

That is a pretty interesting start though.:D
The goal for the car is to get it running and drivable, for now. What I want to do with this car is make it a mean street machine that I can take to the strip and do some club class racing, nothing too hardcore. I did mention that my horsepower goal is give or take 400, without nitrous. I know what aftermarket parts I want to install to get to that number, but for now I need parts lists for everything I need to get this thing driving and street legal.

The dash is pretty far down the list for what I NEED to get the car running and driving. I understand it looks like a big steamy dog log laying there but I need info on what I need to get the car driving and road legal.

Ok. Job #1 get the engine back in the car. Don't know how else to help?

I understand that the engine needs to be in the car..

What I'm asking is what parts do I need to get the car operating besides the ones I mentioned in the original post. So besides having a basic longblock and shell, what pulleys do I need? What belts do I need? What pumps? What cables? That is what I'm asking for help with.

I understand that the engine needs to be in the car..

What I'm asking is what parts do I need to get the car operating besides the ones I mentioned in the original post. So besides having a basic longblock and shell, what pulleys do I need? What belts do I need? What pumps? What cables? That is what I'm asking for help with.

Don't know if you mentioned you had them already but:
> alternator
> voltage regulator (think that's external on yours, is on my 71 and I just replaced it, or rewire and get one internal to the alternator)
> water pump
> carburetor or EFI?
> kickdown cable or linkage (I'm dealing with this right now, mine is missing on my project and it will eat the tranny if it's an automated valve body and there's not one on the car)
> battery
> fuel pump
> speedo cable (if you want to know how fast you're going)
> driveshaft & u-joints
> all the suspension there? K-member, control arms, idler arms, tie rods, shocks, steering gearbox, pitman arm?

Still thinking ...

Dave thank you for your response. Those are things I hadn't thought of yet. That will help me along the way. If you know the proper name for the frame support that holds the trans up, that would be tremendous help. Thank you again

Dave thank you for your response. Those are things I hadn't thought of yet. That will help me along the way. If you know the proper name for the frame support that holds the trans up, that would be tremendous help. Thank you again

I've always just called it a cross member, not sure if that's the actual name.

thought of some others
> Distributor & plug wires
> Ignition coil
> Steering gearbox
> A/C if you are going that route is it's own full system usually, compressor condensor, evaporator, drier, the under the dash unit and hoses
> Thermostat
> Radiator
> Drive shaft (if you're not keeping what you have)
> Rear Axle (if you're not keeping what you have)
> Yokes for the trans and the diff.

Probably think of some others later

To make 400 with oem parts in an 8/1 engine is gonna get expensive in a hurry.And the end result will be an engine a lot more suited to the track than to the street. 300/350 is a much,much, cheaper target.
But if you got the cash, a 400hp engine in a 3200# raceweight Dart is ferocious. That combo has a P/W of 8.0 and the potential to go 116mph in the quarter. That's pretty hot! With the right suspension, that could be down around 11.5 seconds.Also very hot.
By contrast; 350hp at 3400raceweight has the potential to go 107@ as low as 12.2. This is a pretty hot streeter already, using 4.56s or so. Set up for street, this will be more like 13.2 to 12.7. Still a nice deal. Strap a 100shot on that and you're back in the game without breaking the bank.
And don't forget the cost of gas. That 400hp is gonna burn a lotta gas around town approaching double of what the 350 will burn. And on the hiway, well it's a bit better, unless the 400 has those 4.56s without an o/d,lol.
Winter is almost here,I would be taking my time to figure stuff out, and be ready next spring. Or the spring after,lol, cuz I'm 64 and slowing down......

Last edited:
-
Back