help with radiator replacement

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1976 Dart Sport with a 225 /6 in it. Don't know too much about this car as I bought it last year and haven't drove it much but it has run fairly well but now that the temp is getting warmer outside the car runs a little warmer than it did. The car has not been serviced as well as I would have kept it. I believe the previous owner has had it parked at times for awhile but, it has the original radiator in it. part # on it is 3869906. It has the original radiator hoses on it and I would guess it has the original thermostat in it. I am going to replace both hoses, thermostat and the radiator in it. I believe it needs to be flushed. I am going to do all of this but in buying a new radiator I am guessing will have to go with a 22" now. The one in it measures about 19" wide so is that the new replacement size I need to look for. I was thinking about an aluminum one for it. any suggestions. Maybe a Champion. I believe this is a 2 row. any help would be appreciated. This car will be a daily driver of about 65 miles a day on the interstate so it has to be right. thanks

If I was you and knowing what I know NOW (I would go with a COLD CASE) and a factory AC shroud//./you have to use a fabricated shroud with a champion radiator... pre 70's 340

Stock shroud won’t fit a champion radiator. So you have to make something. Stock shroud has gaps too.
X2 I just tried it tonight, pulled the radiator, stock shroud is a no go.
The inlet and outlet necks must be closer together, or the radiator is shorter, because the stock shroud will not even sit between the necks.

I agree.

In an otherwise stock car, an aftermarket radiator looks out of place.

Warmer temps are normal as outside temps rise.

You can flush the system for sure, but if it is not actually boiling over you to not have a real issue.

If you're worried about the radiator, get it recored w/a 2 row high efficiency unit and keep the originality. I have one in my Dart and no issues in the dead of heat, highway or around town.

Can't go wrong with a stock Rad. It worked fine for 45+ years

Yeah, I just found a stock radiator at Oreillys and Autozone for under $200.00. This car has no shroud nor did it come from the factory with one so I will probably go that route. Thanks,Guys.

Be real careful about aggressively flushing old cooling systems. Pretty easy to dissolve rusty old freeze plugs, then you have a big problem. Don’t ask how I know.....

I have a 1976 Dart Sport with a 225 /6 in it. Don't know too much about this car as I bought it last year and haven't drove it much but it has run fairly well but now that the temp is getting warmer outside the car runs a little warmer than it did. The car has not been serviced as well as I would have kept it. I believe the previous owner has had it parked at times for awhile but, it has the original radiator in it. part # on it is 3869906. It has the original radiator hoses on it and I would guess it has the original thermostat in it. I am going to replace both hoses, thermostat and the radiator in it. I believe it needs to be flushed. I am going to do all of this but in buying a new radiator I am guessing will have to go with a 22" now. The one in it measures about 19" wide so is that the new replacement size I need to look for. I was thinking about an aluminum one for it. any suggestions. Maybe a Champion. I believe this is a 2 row. any help would be appreciated. This car will be a daily driver of about 65 miles a day on the interstate so it has to be right. thanks
Put the correct fit radiator with 2 one inch rows and your good to go.
Buy American made stay away from the poor quality Chinese crap, help bring manufacturing back to the USA. You dont want any chink parts in your American beauty.

Last edited:
Go cold case... it's nice. My daughter says she loves the shiney and it makes the engine bay look so pretty.

Edit- Also get the Correct stock shroud.... I bought what I thought was the correct shroud and it wasnt... so I had to butcher it all up, I figure it's better than nothing

20200303_180804.jpg

20200409_151422.jpg

Be real careful about aggressively flushing old cooling systems. Pretty easy to dissolve rusty old freeze plugs, then you have a big problem. Don’t ask how I know.....

Maybe that's what my problem was... not with a freeze plug but with that rad heater hose nipple on the left... that thing has had better days, I left it as it though...

20200324_111100.jpg

Yeah, I just found a stock radiator at Oreillys and Autozone for under $200.00. This car has no shroud nor did it come from the factory with one so I will probably go that route. Thanks,Guys.
Nothing we buy at a parts store is really the same as what the factory installed.
If you have the original, have it cleaned and repaired if need be.
The metal is heavier. The seams made better. Fits exactly as it should. Accepts a factory shroud.
A slight rise in temperature with weather is normal.
A rise in termperature could be a cap not hold to rated pressure.
Could be a small leak under pressure somewhere else.
Narrow down the circumstances it occurs.

First off before you buy a new rad get your block and rad flushed and flow checked . flush the heater also . /6 rads have funky core sizes so check that before buying a new one . Also check the bolt pattern of yours vs. aftermarket and check inlet/outlet positions AND the diameter of the hose connections . make sure your timing isn't retarted as that will make it run hot .

Be real careful about aggressively flushing old cooling systems. Pretty easy to dissolve rusty old freeze plugs, then you have a big problem.

In that case, the freeze plugs needed to be addressed anyway.

If it happens at home, awesome.

If it happens out on the road, not so good.........

For any engine I have out, for a rebuild or swap - brass plugs go in if the steel originals are still in it.

That 1976 Dart has a unique 19" radiator in it. Since it's a bone stock 6 cylinder and you are not having problems, I would purchase an OEM style replacement which should cost you no more than $200. Add your new hoses and t-stat and you should be good for many years.

That 1976 Dart has a unique 19" radiator in it. Since it's a bone stock 6 cylinder and you are not having problems, I would purchase an OEM style replacement which should cost you no more than $200. Add your new hoses and t-stat and you should be good for many years.

That is exactly what I have decided to do. Thanks

-
Back