Help with removing the dash

-

element303

Reaction score
I try to take everything out for painting and I cant figure out how to remove the cover behind the steering wheel on a 72' Demon. The wheel wont come off at all. I am assuming I have to do that first to access the next step. Any ideas how I could get the steering wheel lose so I can take it off? Its probably on there since 72. Thank you

Also the knob from the storage on the passenger side. Cant get the knob off without breaking anything.

Anything but a wheel puller is sketchy, but it can sometimes be done anyway.

I put the nut on flush with the end of the threaded stud, push up with my knees on both sides of the wheel and give the end of the shaft a sharp hard pop with a mid sized hammer and a 10-12 inch flat ended bar stock.
The trick here is knowing when to stop and go get a puller before you start destroying the stud or nut. (Autozone rents these for free, if you give them some money up front and they give it all back on return)

Check this out on the glovebox knob removal and I'll bet it also applies to yours.
How to remove lock from glove box door

yeah I faintly remembered the hammer trick, but I didnt pull at the same time. Maybe some WD40 5 minutes before might help. I will try that again. Thank you

yeah I faintly remembered the hammer trick, but I didnt pull at the same time. Maybe some WD40 5 minutes before might help. I will try that again. Thank you

Oh, and the dash pad has 5/16 (I think) nuts behind it way up under the dash right where it turns down toward the floor.
At least 5 of them or maybe more with one on each end about half way down the pad.
Be careful, as I always say "putting your hands up under a classic Mopar dash is like sticking your hands in a box of kitchen knives" :D

Yep I noticed that haha. The corner have a rust hole thats why I need to take it out complete.

I went to a local mechanic and he had a puller to take it off. A tool for everything.

-
Back