Help with shipping a grill

-

Blue87D100

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I am trying to sell the grill from the 69 Dart and having a hard time finding a box it will fit in. I found one place online but you have to buy 10 of them,which is over 40 bux:violent1: Any of you guys shipped a grill before? WHat did you use? Its about 56 inches long and 8 in tall/wide.

Thanks
JP

U Haul-Penske-any of these places

You might also check out companies in your area to see if they re-cycle their cardboard.They might be willing to donate a box to you.

Ok, get a big box, punch holes in it for ventilation, throw in some food and water (so she doesn't starve during shipping)...

Oh wait, you said grill, not girl! (my dyslexia kicks in and out sometimes).

Maybe an old box from a weed wacker or leaf blower, something of that nature.

Try a body shop in your area. They always have large boxes that they're happy to get rid of.......

not sure what your options are-- but see if you can find 2 boxes-- splice them together & then cut it down for a custom fit.-- use lots of tape-- it adds to water proofing & strength of the package.

Home depot/lowes might have large boxes from patio furniture/grilles.
furniture stores-- even best buy.
get thick walled boxes for rigidity.
Lawrence

For a grill, I would not trust cardboard.
I would build a lightweight crate out of wood.
Some 2" x 2" coverd in a sheet of 1/8 luan. You will have about 10 to 15 bucks in the whole thing.
Plus there is less chance damaging it that way.
Not a grill but you get the idea. It went from the east coast to the west coast with no damage.

1000286n.jpg

Vinyl siding boxes are an excellent box to ship items such as grilles in. They are triple walled and just about the dimension you need. They typically come in 12' lengths. You may also be able to talk Home Depot out of one of them if the one near you sells siding by the piece, which most of them do. Or better yet, buy a couple pieces of siding, use an opened box to take them to the car, take them out of the box and walk the siding back in and return it if they won't just give you the box!! Or, you can usually find them in subdivisions where houses are being built (if there is still such a thing). I agree that cardboard isn't usually the best medium to ship delicate parts unless you can find triple walled boxes.

Thanks again for all the new ideas. Im thinking about buildint a box out of wood,thats a good idea!:cheers:

Mine was shipped in a crate made out of furring strips. Cardboard was then attached tto the lumber....

For a grill, I would not trust cardboard.
I would build a lightweight crate out of wood.
Some 2" x 2" coverd in a sheet of 1/8 luan. You will have about 10 to 15 bucks in the whole thing.
Plus there is less chance damaging it that way.
Not a grill but you get the idea. It went from the east coast to the west coast with no damage.

1000286n.jpg
Everyone who has bitched about the USPS wrecking stuff needs to see this. A container like this either packed full, make that stuffed full of peanuts, or with the part securley fastened to the crate so it does not move will help make sure parts arrive in one piece.....

Everyone who has bitched about the USPS wrecking stuff needs to see this. A container like this either packed full, make that stuffed full of peanuts, or with the part securley fastened to the crate so it does not move will help make sure parts arrive in one piece.....

The part was bolted to the crate thru the front tranny to bellhousing bolt and bolted to the crate at the tranny mount.
What you don't see is the top cover, I took this pic before I shipped it to the buyer.

I bought a grill of a guy on e-bay one time.
He just screwed it to a 1" x 8" and shipped it.:violent1:
Never bubble wraped it or anything.
It came to me pretty bashed up.

Go to a guitar store and get a couple guitar case boxes, they are probaly broke down for recycling, they usaully are good about just giving them away.

Thanks again for all the new ideas. Im thinking about buildint a box out of wood,thats a good idea!:cheers:
Hey,
I coming out Saturday anyways,Do you want me to deliver some used Pallets that I got !!! You could take them apart and build your wood box and not have to purchase wood...Just a thought.
Martin
TXDart
P.S. It is raining here Wooooo Hoooooooooo

I used a 10'' cardboard sona tube ( for pooring concrete peers) and there available at any Home depot or lowes..........

You might also check out companies in your area to see if they re-cycle their cardboard.They might be willing to donate a box to you.

That's a great idea. My old plant where I worked gives me cardboard they
don't use anymore. They are flat sheets about 20" wide and around 6' long.

You can bend them up to fit about anything. If you were close I would give you what you needed.

Thanks for the offer Tony,that is very nice of you. Im going to check into a few of these ideas. Thanks everybody:D

i shipped an original hemi 4 speed in a beefier box than that and they some how dropped it and when the guy got it the IBR was broken into peices...

trans wasn't even in the crate anymore lol...:wack:

I just sent a 86 dodge truck grill to Canada and here are the pictures.
Note the heavy radiator boxes and the 1/2 plywood I screwed the grill to.
There is card board reinforcement corners that I did not get pictures of and it is made out of two boxes over one another :cheers:
It will make the long trip safely and I always take pictures of my packing I used allot of tape after it was double boxed and the 1/2'' ply wood will keep it from moving or twisting, I also screwed the box to the plywood that is the same size as the box,I picked up the boxes from a radiator shop :thumrigh: Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ebay2011 A 111.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 132
  • ebay2011 A 112.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 124
  • ebay2011 A 113.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 128
  • ebay2011 A 114.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 131
  • APA%207%202011%20046.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 151
  • APA%207%202011%20047.jpg