help with term

-

rod7515

Reaction score
could someone please explain what is meant when they say the Cubic Inches will eat up the cam. I am stroking a 360 to a 408. So many people I talk to will say the cam will act a little smaller because of the motor being stroked. I understand engines, but need a little clarification on how exactly that is meant. I mean a .575 lift cam will still have a .575 lift in a stroker. so how does it eat it up?
Thanks for the explanation in advance
Rod

That simply means a larger engine needs more camshaft than a smaller engine to make a comparable difference in power. In other words, a camshaft that adds 30 HP in a 340 would need to be a fair amount larger to add that same 30 HP in say a 440. It really depends a lot on the engine's stroke, too.

Rod, the longer the arm, the more torque down low. It's really about the stroke length more then the total cubic inches. The more torque at lower rpms, the milder any given cam will react.....especially when it comes to streetability. More vacuum and a better signal to the carb are almost a given.

More displacement requires more airflow, therefore a bigger cam.

My 408 started with a mopar .509 cam, when it went flat I went to a roller in the .545 lift range. With the increased "quickness" in the roller opening the valves, and the increased lift it became a completely different engine.

Rod, the longer the arm, the more torque down low. It's really about the stroke length more then the total cubic inches. The more torque at lower rpms, the milder any given cam will react.....especially when it comes to streetability. More vacuum and a better signal to the carb are almost a given.

x2 on this Rusty's.
If you add 18% stroke (3.31 to 4") then you need to add camshaft because that harder "suck" will make any given camshaft seem smaller than catalog listings for factory displacements. Less so for the 360's 3.58 to 4", but same idea.

-
Back