help with the fusible link wire smoking under the dash as i drive

-
With the 2 plug in wires, Field & Ground it doesnt matter which plug they are on. They can be reversed and your alt will still work great.

From book " the isolated alternator is so called because it has a field winding that is not grounded in the alternator. Each end of the field winding is connected to isolated terminals on alt. One field terminal is supplied with battery current whenever the ign is turned on. The other field terminal connects to the regulator which provides a regulated ground to control charging voltage."

Therefore it doesnt matter which terminal the blue or green wire connect to. They are connected inside the alternator anyhow. The electricity doesnt care which direction it flows inside the field.

Just make sure the battery connection is correct. One blue on the field and green on the other terminal.

ok, here is where i am at. i took the alt off of my 70 /6 duster that has electronic ignition. my 70 340 has points. would the alts be the same? cause the /6 car had a dual field on back of alt, and my 70 alt had one field wire and one grnd wire on back of alt. when i put the 340 alt in my /6, it immediatly fried one of my field wires. so i took the fried wire off, and just left the one field wire on it, and it starts and runs fine.

now i took the /6 alt and put it on my 340. and now the wire to the ammeter in the dash is not getting hot anymore. but i want to make sure it is correct
i no longer smell wire burning

would a 70 duster have one field wire and one ground wire? or are they both field wires? if it is supposed to be two field wires, then they put the wrong alt on the car at one time

With the 2 plug in wires, Field & Ground it doesnt matter which plug they are on. They can be reversed and your alt will still work great.

From book " the isolated alternator is so called because it has a field winding that is not grounded in the alternator. Each end of the field winding is connected to isolated terminals on alt. One field terminal is supplied with battery current whenever the ign is turned on. The other field terminal connects to the regulator which provides a regulated ground to control charging voltage."

Therefore it doesnt matter which terminal the blue or green wire connect to. They are connected inside the alternator anyhow. The electricity doesnt care which direction it flows inside the field.

Just make sure the battery connection is correct. One blue on the field and green on the other terminal.

right, but the alt that was on the 340, one of the wires was hooked to a field and the other went to a ground on the alt. so that is the wrong alt for the car? on the back of the alt, there is not two fields, but yet one field and one ground

I had a similar issue with my Duster and could not figure out where the problem was. I unwrapped the tape from the engine bay wiring harness and followed every wire in the harness and they were all in good shape. I still had the problem. I then ended up pulling out the instrument cluster and discovered that the alternator gauge post was broke off on the gauge. I just got a different cluster with a good gauge, but until I finish restoring it I will not be using it in my car but I ended up bypassing the instrument alternator gauge by connecting a wire from the battery post on my alternator to the battery positive post, therefore bypassing the gauge altogether. No more charging issues and no more hot wires. I also replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, Ballast resistor, Starter Relay, and Battery in my quest to pin down the problems.

so both the green and the blue are field wires? lol sorry, i get so lost when it comes to electrical

Use the alternator that has both fields marked on the back.

I think the other one is grounded inside the alternator. Even though they are both '70 one of the earlier posts said that was the change over, with the alternators being different.

Now I am starting to get confused...lol

I will check an earlier book. but it sounds like the alternator that has field and ground is from an earlier charging system than the one you have.

I checked an earlier book and the early model alternators have one filed and one ground.

I am not sure of the cut off for the newer style. But it sounds as if you have the newer one.

Yes, now you understand what i am trying to say.lol the alt that was in the car has a field and a ground plug in, and it was on a 1970 duster 340. Now when i put this alt on my 70 /6, it fried a wire immediately.. So when i took off the /6 alt and put it on my 340, the wire is not getting hot anymore

i checked an earlier book and the early model alternators have one filed and one ground.

I am not sure of the cut off for the newer style. But it sounds as if you have the newer one.

ok, so someone put the wrong alt on the car. Thank you for all the help. Now i do not have to worry about my car burning to the ground.lol

-
Back