help with wiring

-

seventyswinger

Reaction score
i am in the process of converting from slant 6 to 318 i will be using an msd system and was wondering if the same wiring could be used i currently have a points system in the / 6. or do i need to buy a new harness thank you any help would be greatful.

here are some links that will help you out. Not knowing if your going to use a points or magnetic style pickup will change the picture slightly. Personally if your not going to be over 6000-7000 rpm I would skip the msd and use the stock conversion kit with a orange or chrome box. Nothing like getting stranded without a spare msd box. I also saw a dodge dakota that was wired up with the msd and also reatained all of the stock stuff and could be switched back in a matter of minutes just in case. I believe from the instructions for the msd unit you can use it with both points or magnetic pickup and it looks like it's just splicing/rerouting wires to their proper triggers and components. If you go with the mopar upgrade most kits come with the needed 4 pin connector harness for the module.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/a688specs.html

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/elconkit.html

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/elecignconv.pdf

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/frm23775_6520.pdf

MY , MSD luck sucks big time. I also left in the stock ignition so the MSD wouldn't leave me stranded.
IMO, use the chrome box and MP electronic distrib. with the proper ballast and wiring harrness from Mopar all wired up even if you use the MSD.

The MSD has it's best showing below 3,000 rpm's. There great for mileage but I haven't found a 1/4 mile gain over the Chrome box in a deadicated track ride, or hot street car.

MY , MSD luck sucks big time. I also left in the stock ignition so the MSD wouldn't leave me stranded.

You know Rumble, I have had people tell me about all these problems that they have had with MSD and can not figure it out. I have used or worked on or built cars that have MSD in them for about 15 years and the only problem that I have ever had with one was the owners fault. He did some welding on the car with the box still hooked up. I don't know why some of you guys have had so many issues with them but I swear by them. I would put their stuff in my 96 V10 Dodge if I could figure it all out. Sorry about this if someone is upset by it I am just trying to figure out if there is something wrong with some of the systems or if there is a common installation problems that is being over looked.

Thanks for the help it makes more sense for reliability reasons to go with the stock system with the orange box besides it will only be driven on weekends and to the local car shows here and not drag raced

You know Rumble, I have had people tell me about all these problems that they have had with MSD and can not figure it out. I have used or worked on or built cars that have MSD in them for about 15 years and the only problem that I have ever had with one was the owners fault. He did some welding on the car with the box still hooked up. I don't know why some of you guys have had so many issues with them but I swear by them. I would put their stuff in my 96 V10 Dodge if I could figure it all out. Sorry about this if someone is upset by it I am just trying to figure out if there is something wrong with some of the systems or if there is a common installation problems that is being over looked.

It seems like they last forever. Or they break. I bought my 6A used from someone for $50 and it's lasted me two years. *knock on wood*. Mine is mounted in the interior, away from moisture and excessive vibration. I've heard about welding killing them too.

seventyswinger, Do yourself a favor and get the chrome box and proper ballast to go with it. Worth the cost.

BJS, My luck is terrible. Most of my freinds that run them mostly have them for many years. I figure it is just my luck because I see them run for 10+ years easy. One freind has his 15 years. Go figure. 1 box for him in 15 years and still running, I go through 5 box's in a year, 3 on one car. I have sent them back for fixing. MSD was reallly very good about it and been a big help.
This is why I can still, in my heart, honestly say the company is more likely a good one and interested (Via story below) in the customer. Thus the reason I can still, with ease, recomend there useage.

On the car I sent it back 3 times on, I have had the tech department call me up and talk to me about it. Went through the whole thing. What car do you drive? What is it built for? How do you drive it? What mods are on there? Where is it mounted? Hows the coil mounted? Did you add wire and if so, how...how much wire was added? Did you up the gauge? how was it connected?

Etc...........

Now, if my luck was the norm, I'd have to say, how do they stay in biz?
But it's not and I know that.
Did I get 3 crap ignitrions in a row? Maybe. I wish that happen to me with the lotto drawings only being a wining ticket instead.:toothy10:

I have had similar luck with Mallory & Accel. I have owned only one Jacobs syste, (A Pro-Street model....WOW!) And it was good.

Rumble, I don't know what the deal is. I did have a guy that had a bad ignition switch that wasn't allowing enough current to go through and it hurt a box. Also grounds on the motor could kill one.

He he he, sometimes it is what it is. Just weird.

-
Back