Help

-

Moparhead64

Reaction score
I love to drive my car, but as I drive it just cuts out so I put it in neutral and coast while I turn the ignition off and then re start only to have it cut out again. It seems to do it only when its hot. I m guessing that its either the "brain " or the coil. Ive allready replaced the ballast resister. Yes I converted it to electronic.

The coil is deffenately getting hot...what causes it? I m gonna end up mounting it all (coil and ignition box) in the glove box area if its just the heat getting to it rather than a problem with the wiring.

In my experience (had it happen on 3 different cars over the years), the reason for many heat related failures in Mopar electronic ignitions is the pick up in the distributor. When overheats the ignition dies, but can usually be re-started once it cools down. Since it's inside the distributor bolted to the engine and gets no air flow, it is the hottest part in the system. Once this starts happening, the pick up must be replaced. Ignition coils are usually hot to the touch, but they are full of oil and don't usually fail because of heat. Unless your car has headers and the ECU is really close to them and receiving no air flow around it, it should not be a problem.

I have not too long ago messed with the distriutor and the air gap is @ 007 ( eletronic ign) on the tight side I know but I ll mess with it some more

My engine bay would get real hot and would stall out.I rerouted my fuel line,ditched the clutch fan put a flex fan in.That seemed to cure it.Next will be a carb spacer if needed.Hope this may help.

I have a 7 blade fan with no shroud,electic fuel pump, eddelbrock carb( square bore) on a holley strip dominator( spread bore)with no spacer. What would you reccomend for a spacer material? That is my engine bay in the avatar.

I also wonder if I need a return line , running a electric holley blue pump( the one that requires no regulator). It seems that with the headers going through the fender and not under the car that the fuel would not get hot enough to boil or heat soak.

I also wonder if I need a return line , running a electric holley blue pump( the one that requires no regulator). It seems that with the headers going through the fender and not under the car that the fuel would not get hot enough to boil or heat soak.
A return line is only for EFI cars.Ask me how I know?LOL

-
Back