Help

-

gio67cuda

Reaction score
My son has a '68 Valiant that he is installing a '72 360 into. Problem is when the engine was rebuilt ( buy someone else ) the dip stick tube was not completely removed and there is still a piece of it in the existing hole. The engine is in the car and we can't go much further untill we can remove this and install the new one. Any suggetions greatly appreciated!
gio67cuda
P.S. We tried an easy out - no go

When they get that bad I usually remove the pan and drive it out from the inside with a driver. But if its in the car and thats not an option I would try and easy out first ? Ron

Gio67cuda He is right the only thing that will work is get a ( good )set of easy outs.
You want a good set so it will not break off in the block then you will have a lot of trouble!

gio67cuda said:
Thanks for the info. I'll give it another shot. Will let you know what happens.

Another option is to try & run a tap into it, thread in a bolt, and slap-hammer it out. Just make sure you apply axle grease to the tap to catch the metal chips.

Otherwise it's down with the pan and smack it out from the bottom....

See if you can find a narrow style lifter puller. It works like 2 j hooks that expand when you tighten the handle, then is a slide hammer for extracting a stuck lifter. Or just use a slide hammer with a bolt attached to it that is cut away at the bottom in a j hook fashion. Lightly tap it up turning the slide hammer so you don't wedge the rest of the tube in the hole. GOOD LUCK!

Awsome, I'm glad you got it out. I drove for years like that after the second one broke. I am sure I cracked it putting that replacement one in. Oh well.

-
Back