Help

-

wilb68

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I still have my first car it's a 1972 dodge dart swinger. My dad bought it for me back in 1984. it was my graduation present. and I'm trying to get it back on the road. I need your help trying to identify what color my seats were. Here's a picture of my fender tag. If you could what would the dash frame color be.
Thank you for your time and help you guys have been great

20230226_194726.jpg

Both pretty near to the color of the fender tag.

Your interior was a light gold vinyl bench seat.

Read your full data tag breakdown here.

It's not perfect (for example, it doesn't recognize the paint code) because it's really only for '69-'71 cars.

Here's another Y4 Light Gold '72 Swinger. Other than the vinyl top color and obviously-added hood, wheels and tail stripe, it's pretty close right down to the interior and rub strips.

096397b8c4af0f5c4dc220ae4795ec211845a60b.jpg

I seem to remember it looking like this. But I'm not sure what the color name is.

th-1812896017.jpg

th-338109510.jpg

All classic industries has is what they call ember gold is that right?

No. Ember Gold is a GM color, if memory serves. Classic, Year One and a few others generally sell PUI interior stuff, which is "we make it in Mopar patterns in the GM material we have available" although the quality isn't terrible. The quality is worse on PG Classic, eBay, and other lesser vendors selling overseas garbage. If you choose to go that route, I think Year One will still send you material samples at no charge so you can get as close as possible.

If I'd had a car for nearly 40 years, I'd pony up for Legendary Auto Interiors if they can do it. It hurts the wallet and there's a wait, but you can do it right this time or forever wish you did. Their seat upholstery in particular is just on another level entirely. I have two sets of Challenger seat covers here, one PUI and one Legendary. The difference is dramatic.

Your right I went to legendary. And looked into it and the ember gold matched the code you sent me. So I ordered the front bench seat cover.I already have 800.in finding the seat and shipping. Because stupid me wanted bucket seats about 10 years ago and I threw mine away. Thank you for your help. But I still need to find out about the dash color.

The color code for your dash is GY6, full part number is 4239GY6. There were only four dash colors in '72 A-bodies: Black, blue, green, and gold. All four shared the first four digits of the part number, with the last three being the color code (black would be 4239TX9). I would not bet the farm on finding an NOS one, but anything's possible.

As far as I'm aware, nobody's doing that dash pad in gold. PG Classic shows a tan one, but what's shown is a color I don't know that I've ever seen in an A-body. It's not even close to what you need (strangely, the 1968-only dash pad is much closer, yet my '68 Valiant's pad is closer to their '72 color). I can't speak to their quality, either.

This might be a situation where you're best off finding a really good used pad, or sending yours out to ABC Moparts and seeing if you can find the right GY6 dye. I did a lot of comparing finished products when I had my E-body dash recovered, and ABC Moparts was far and away the best. It was also the least expensive option.

My dash pad is junk. I still have it. When I got the car the previous owner glued carpet to it. Man your a wealth of information. With that color code if I absolutely have to I could dye one to match. Or do you think it was the light green like in the previous pictures?

That's gold, trust me. I ride to work in a '73 with that exact dash in it in nicer weather. The green pad was very green... like, forest green.

My dash pad is junk. I still have it. When I got the car the previous owner glued carpet to it.
Bob at ABC Moparts can make it like new, but last I knew he could only do black. I'll be sending him the trashed one from my '68 when I get to work on that car.

100_4483.JPG

I know you're right. Gold I went to abcmoparts and I think that is the way to go. On there it said they can do colors for I believe 25.00 extra I will have to contact the ot see if the can match it. Man I appreciate all your help. I hope you can get yours done to. I like the 68s

-
Back