Hemi 4 Speed ID help

-

desmo900

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether this transmission has hemi gears in it. The input shaft is 18 spline. The tail housing has been changed to the shorter A body unit.

These are the only pics I have for now:

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 667
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 675
  • photo 3.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 650
  • photo 4.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 535
You need to see if you can see the oilite bushings inside the main gears. All original hemi gears had bushings inside. It looks like it has a cut down chevy input shaft mod, which was very common as the chevy transmissions could not take the abuse on a drag car. Also the gears have been slick shifted with the dog lugs on the syncros. There were a few hemi ratios, not sure where my info is right now, but you can count teeth and determine ratios.

Thanks. I am guessing that "slick shifting" is not very streetable? How hard is it to reverse?

LOL You have to replace the input shaft and all the syncro blocker rings, both sliders, and gears (1st, 3nd, 3rd). See the "fine teeth" (dogs) where the syncro sliders engage? Those are not factory on yours.

What you essentially have there is a "crash box" IE a non syncro transmission. If you got real good at learning to double clutch I guess you could drive it, bit a PITA, I'd bet

See how fine the syncro engagement teeth are on these below?

247Input-SpeedGears.jpg

That sounds easy and inexpensive...
So what you are saying is that this is the perfect transmission for the A-body strip ONLY car that I don't have and am NOT building!

I am not the owner of this transmission nor will I be after your guys input. Thanks for saving me the hassle and expense.

Well I guess it all depends on what the asking price was. Usually, "one of these" has been beat to death, I'd pass, also.

I know that Liberty gear can restore a slick shifted 18 spline. Check out their website.

Good luck,
Mike

In the pictures above, you can read that this already has Liberty gears in it. It is a modified trans. I have one I plan on using in my car. Oh, and I can't see any syncro's in the pictures . Mine has syncros which will make it much easier to shift and use on the street.

[ Do you still have this transmission and is it for sale QUOTE=Hyper_pak;1969888525]You need to see if you can see the oilite bushings inside the main gears. All original hemi gears had bushings inside. It looks like it has a cut down chevy input shaft mod, which was very common as the chevy transmissions could not take the abuse on a drag car. Also the gears have been slick shifted with the dog lugs on the syncros. There were a few hemi ratios, not sure where my info is right now, but you can count teeth and determine ratios.[/QUOTE]

In the pictures above, you can read that this already has Liberty gears in it. It is a modified trans. I have one I plan on using in my car. Oh, and I can't see any syncro's in the pictures . Mine has syncros which will make it much easier to shift and use on the street.

Do you still have this transmission and is it for sale. If it is for sale I need to know the tooth count on the cluster gear.

Not mine. Considered buying it from a kid in San Diego. I'll dig up his number and PM it to you.

Hemi gears have less helicoidal angle than the non hemi gears thats a big giveaway, and the only way to have a 18 spline 1 3/16 imput shaft is to have the gears and cluster that goes with it, the rest of the trany parts can be interchangeable.

-
Back