hemi 4 speed

-

sweatybetty

Reaction score
is anyone running one and using a diaphram clutch? the 18 spline to be specific. just wondering if they are available. i took the spring out and it sounds like it would be a mother to get back in.

The disc is all you have to find. The disc could really care less if the pressure plate is a diaphragm or three finger.

Just buy an 18 spline disc to match your pressure plate diameter (10.5 or 11) and you are good to go.

Chuck

Just a note I'm running McCleod dual disc clutch for my 18 spline, I really dig it, If you use a dual disc, remember to take the overcenter spring out from under the dash. just my 2c......

I am looking at buying a Hemi A 833 tranny , the guy claims it has straight cut gears in it , it is supposed to be a super stock a body trans , any of you guys ever hear of that ? what would a fair price for an 18 spline A body unit go for ?
Thanks Fellas !!

cudadenny said:
I am looking at buying a Hemi A 833 tranny , the guy claims it has straight cut gears in it , it is supposed to be a super stock a body trans , any of you guys ever hear of that ? what would a fair price for an 18 spline A body unit go for ?
Thanks Fellas !!
I saw one on Ebay a few months back that sold for a little over a grand.

I`ve heard of cutting every other gear on the cog in order to facilitate shifting. What do you mean by straight cut gears?

I have heard of that also , but the actual drive gears and countershaft gears are claimed to be straight cut and not helical cut ( like a rearend , curved ?)

I have not ever found any info about that and checked on Brewer's website and all their gearsets look to be the helical type ( curved for lack of a better explanation )

I am totally new to the A 833 and have not found any info to discount the claims of the seller , and I have not seen the inside of this trans to verify what he is claiming , That is why I am here , Thank you all who have viewed this post ,
I can't believe how the internet has changed the hobby , I remember lugging parts to the swapmeet , and going to the library , etc ...

I`ve never heard of that, but that doesn`t mean much, there`s a lot I haven`t heard of. In the morning you may get some people who have knowledge of straight cut gears. Brewers or Passon would know if anybody. I believe there`s a guy at the site here that`s a 4spd. guru, and he may be able to enlighten us as well.

Yes , I am going to call some people tomarrow , I looked everywhere I can think of and every photo I see and every description or info page does not support the claim about those gears.
I suppose it is possible , however unlikely that there would have been special gut for the factory super stocks ?
Even if there was , I don't think I'd be able to get parts for it if I bought it and it needed them or if I broke it ?
I am building a 451 for my Cuda and If the factory used them behind a 375 HP 440 ...etc
I have NOT read about anyone breaking a 23 spline unit either though. I am going to race the car but drive it too , If I was that serious about racing I would use my 727.
But how could anyone deny the COOL factor of an Ivy green metallic w/ v7x flat black upper body stripe , stock black interior (no cage), mini tubbed with widened steel wheels with a 451 4 speed that looks like a mostly stock 383 Cuda clone !!! OH the HUMANITY !!!
:toothy7:

Talked with both Brewers and Passion , there are no straight cut gearsets for the A 833. and the 18 spline unit can handle approx 200-250 more HP than the 23 spline unit ( all else considered ) and the slick shift modified units are likely to pop out of gears during street driving so I was informed.

No straight cut gears,huh? Sounds like that fellow does`nt know what he`s got. The slick shifted transmissions have to be run that way, not really steetable, that sounds about right. Denny ,I`ve got a 68 B`cuda with a 500 ci bb and have just recently installed a Tremec/Keisler 5spd in place of my original A833. I can`t describe the difference in the car , it is the best thing I`ve done to the car thus far. I`m running a 28 inch tire with a 3.91 gear and I can cruise the highway at 70mph taching 2100 rpm, yet with the gearing of the trans it`s like having a 4.10 gear in 1st gear. The trans is capable of handling 650hp and has a very close shift pattern w/internal linkage. I just can`t say enough about it.

Sounds like ya'll have pretty much figured it out. Had one of these beasts in '73 (SS Dart Hemi) and the transmission did not have straight cut gears. It was a real bear to drive normally because you had to hold it in gear or it popped into neutral when you let off the gas. Floor it and bang gears though and everything worked as slick as snot on a window. Truly scary car.

i think the only straight cut gear is reverse. if im not mistaken the reason for helical cut gears is to kill the noise. straight cut gears are loud

a friend of mine had a hemi four speed at the track today, it had every other cog missing on the sliders. it looked factory, no grinding or machining. Did some come factory that way or did somebody do a real slick job modifing it. Is 1000 dollars a fair price or complete good hemi trans?

ive read about that, seems its called slick shifting. some were a factory thing

cutting every other tooth off the synchro gear(the brass one) is the oldest way to make a crash box, regardless of manufacturer. No clutch shifts at full throttle!
I'm not sure if someone manufactured these synchros but it might be likely.

-
Back