Hemi dart front wheel size?

-

savoy

Reaction score
Did the super stock cars have 14 or 15 inch front rims and were they a SBP? Thank you.

Not SBP - IIRC they used a rotor from a B body. Not sure on the wheel size.

Ok. Thanks. I knew they used the Dana's out of a b body for the 4 speed cars in the rear, but am getting mixed information on the size of the front rims as KH brakes they had on the front seem all to be SBP. Thus the confusion. Appreciate the response.

Did the super stock cars have 14 or 15 inch front rims and were they a SBP? Thank you.

The '68 Hemi A Bodies had KH Calipers and Rotors that were fitted with 1/2" studs on a 4 1/2" bolt circle instead of 7/16" studs on a 4" pattern.

Thanks so much for that clarification. What is the availability of that brake setup?

Close to impossible to find. They were special to the Hurst cars only.

So what do folks do when creating hemi dart clones? Did the hemi a bodies have 15 inch front rims? Thanks again.

The authenticity guide states 14x 5.5 frt and 15x 6 rear. 11.9 KH disc with 4.5
bolt circle.
I've heard of no one manufacturing these hub/rotors or doing an accurate clone of the
front brakes.

bolt circle.
I've heard of no one manufacturing these hub/rotors or doing an accurate clone of the
front brakes.

The hub and rotor originated from the '66 trans am effort. Specially made by KH for those teams. The center register is machined on a bigger diameter too. So it's not just a differ bolt pattern.

Bob Tarozzi did volunteer a little help on the Team Starfish car that competed in '66 Trans Am.

Bob will be at Spring Fling signing books. So you can ask him any questions in person there.

The rear rims have weird funky offset to fit that 68 b-body LBP rear end assembly.

Troy's dart:

6894685-DartDriverside.jpg

6950976-Untitled-5.jpg

bolt circle.
front brakes.

The rotor hub appears to be a standard" B" body piece, and the center hole in the rotor itself is bored out to the "B" body size and then drilled for the 4-1/2" bolt pattern

Do the 68 A body and B body have the same size spindle? Take the same bearings?
I have never checked myself. Then there's the caliper adaptor mismatch also.
This adaptor may be the missing link?
Never seen B body disc brakes on an A body till you get into the 73 up parts.
If I had some B body disc I'd find out why/what they did. I have always wanted to know.

This is good topic. I know when we took off Tony's brakes (Tom Myl's car) it had small bolt control arms. Not sure when this was done. They did move one ball joint back and on the other side move the ball joint forward. I am guessing for staging

Yes, they take the same bearings,(NO.2 & NO.6). There is no adapter on K/H "A" body
brakes, they bolt directly to the tabs on the spindles. B.T.W., "A" body rotors are 11" dia.

I see now they don't use the caliper adaptors, oops. I also found the calipers were the 68
B body bendix part # 2823216 for the right and # 2823217 left.
So this leaves us with a special rotor part# 2880514
The guide is calling this a 11.9 diameter. 4.5" bolt pattern right hand 1/2" wheel studs.
The hemi cars used the standard 383 disc brake spindles.
I have never had a KH disc brake set up in my hands before but the hub and rotor appear to be seperatable pieces in pictures rather than a unicast part.
Is it possible they used the B-body hub with an A or B body rotor?
Anyone have a B body caliper to try on the A body KH disc spindle sounds like
it should fit.

The bendix B-body stuff is different than the KH stuff.

I'm thinking that 11.9" rotor diameter reference in the guide is wrong. 11.9" rotor will not fit on 14" rims. It really can't be right. It's 10.9" which is the A-body diameter.

If you read the old Mopar Action article on Scott Harvey and his '66 Trans Am racing you will see it mentions the special 4.5" bolt pattern disc. And it mentions the rotors. Might have part numbers. Would be interesting if they match the number in the Schild book.

I think the FIA homligation papers are on the www.teamstarfish.com site.

I have had a set of these Hemi SS disk/spindles setups in my hands....about 25 years ago when I was 16 or 17 years old. I was at Pete Haldiman's house and I helped him unload a cache of parts he bought. He had to buy a bunch of parts to get the particular parts he wanted/needed. I also helped him put a set of NOS in he box A990 aluminum hemi heads on the self that day. You know, next to the other sets of hemi heads. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I remember him saying the disc setups were special. He seemed like he wasn't quite sure on all the specific details on the rotors. Remember this was 1988. The consoladation of info was not like it is today. His yellow hemi barracuda was a very original non cut car (Anthony Young "Hemi" book). He didn't even need the rotors, they were trading fodder.

I have to agree, with a closer look at the part #s and dimentions offered in the guide compared to vintage photo's the information is defiantly flawed.
Not to surprising as I have found other errors in the book like the k-frame, shifter and headers.
You really won't notice these errors till a person tries to duplicate it for their own car and
it becomes apparent.

Thank you for the responses. This is all great information. Now, can the collective wisdom recommend what front brake setup I should put on my hemi dart semi clone? I say semi as although I am attempting to make it appear as close to a hemi dart I will be modifying certain aspects of the drive train such as a Cal Trac setup in the rear rather than the SS springs and a 572 crate hemi dressed as the original 426 including the correct manifold. So information regarding the brake set up and where to obtain same would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for the responses. This is all great information. Now, can the collective wisdom recommend what front brake setup I should put on my hemi dart semi clone? I say semi as although I am attempting to make it appear as close to a hemi dart I will be modifying certain aspects of the drive train such as a Cal Trac setup in the rear rather than the SS springs and a 572 crate hemi dressed as the original 426 including the correct manifold. So information regarding the brake set up and where to obtain same would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

If you are running something as obvious as Cal Tracks, I don't see going to the machining trouble of making Large bolt KH A-body disks.

Just buy those Mustang rotors that some guy machines, sells, for big bolt pattern, for the Kelsey Hayes, 4 piston, disc brake system. :dontknow:

My 2 cents, with your question.

This^^^^ is probably the closest clone option and would be good with Super Stock springs.
You could go with wilwood being there's cal trac's stuff out back.
Something lighter for the front brakes to match the lightweight cal tracs and lower
suspension. Not really clone parts choices but a good match front to rear.

The reason I am thinking of the Cal Tracs is because a complete new set up came with the car. I also have a couple sets of SS springs. So I guess it depends on if I want to build a correct looking clone or just do street car with up dated components. This car started out as a basis for a hemi clone, but I find myself getting a lot of conflicting opinions on which route to go. Thanks for your input.

-
Back