Hemi Head Slant six?

-

Frankie

Member #9641
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen one of these? It's new to me!

scaled.php

attachment.jpg

Or how about an EFI Slant Six....

mopp_0602_01z+chrysler_engine+slant_six.jpg

I think the Hemi 6 is an Aussie thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct that the Hemi 6 was Australian. However this one is not from Oz. IIRC a guy over at .org cut and welded a pair of 331/354/392 heads along with the valve covers. I believe it ran for a very short time (no street time) but don't remember how long.

The FI slant - lots of them have (and are) being built.

I just checked. The Aussie 6 cyl. Hemi is a straight 6, not a Slant.
I think they use a straight 6 instead of a slant because of the clearances with having the steering and master cylinder, on the right side of the car.

Here's a pic of a 265 Hemi....

hemi2651.jpg

Umm... anybody else NOT see a Hemi there?

HEMI refers to the hemishperical design of the combustion chamber, not necesarrily what the motor physically looks like on the outside, although you are correct in mopar terms a HEMI is notoriously the ultra wide massive valve cover V8 monster....these are baby HEMI's! :mrgreen:

And that top Hemi pic is a true crossflow head.....which the others aren't. I'd say that's huge!

Come on.....somebody's gotta step up and make that head!!! :protest: :prayer:

The Hemi slant is an elaborate hoax. It was claimed to have welded two late model Hemi heads together...blah blah blah. But those pics and a few fake "under construction" pics are all that exist. The EFI slant however, has been around a long time. Just go to rancefi.com and see. Rance is da man.

Somebody, somewhere may call that Aussie thing a HEMI, But I can guarantee you that pic is not... those valves would have to be virtually parallel in a relatively flat wedge type combustion chamber...
I stand by my previous statement...
Not saying the Aussies don't have a six hemi, just that THAT pic is not it!
I ya wanna argue that, show me some good detailed images of valve arrangement and combustion chamber.
Yes, I can be a hardheaded A$$hole!

Here's some Hemi 6's.......

Attachments

• IMGP5002.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 3,696
  • IMGP0373.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3,497
  • IMGP0382.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 3,686
  • IMGP0396.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 3,322
  • IMGP0397.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,435
  • IMGP0427.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 3,536
  • IMGP0456.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 3,488
  • IMGP0429.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,473
Somebody, somewhere may call that Aussie thing a HEMI, But I can guarantee you that pic is not... those valves would have to be virtually parallel in a relatively flat wedge type combustion chamber...
I ya wanna argue that, show me some good detailed images of valve arrangement and combustion chamber.

The valves are inline, BUT, they are canted sideways, the chambers are hemispherical in shape, the rockers use a ball for a pivot, and have pushrod guides.....remember the head isn't crossflow like a V8 Hemi.
Toyota had a Hemi 4 cylinder, called a 3T. They even have the same looking rocker gear like a 426 Hemi.
I have a 245 Hemi packed away somewhere.....I will dig it out eventually.
The aussie hemi's were available in 3 sizes, 215, 245 & 265.
All shared the same crank and rods, 215 & 245 shared the same head, 265 had their own head, so the blocks & pistons were different.
215 were only available with a 1bbl, 245 had 1bbl, 2bbl, and 4 bbl, the 265 had 2bbl, 4bbl and 6bbl ( 3x2bbl ) carbys.

Dude, here's the deal. "Hemi" is a marketing name just like "Magnum", "Vortec", "Duratec" or any other name. Those Australian Hemi sixes are Hemis because that's what Chrysler said they are. Chrysler made um, you didn't. Get over it. They can call it whatever they want to, whether it has a real hemispherical combustion chamber or not. The Hemi sixes are legendary in Australia.

The spark plugs don't have to go down through the center of the valve covers for it to be a Hemi.

One of the engines in this is a picture is a Hemi, and it's not the V8 :yawinkle:

SANY0212.jpg

Like a diagram or pic of chamber and valve arrangement.
Forget marketing.
Just because they choose to market as it as "HEMI" doesn't make it a true hemi.
There are loads of true hemi engines out there, like the previously mentioned Toyota. Most 4stroke motorcycle engines from the time they went to overhead valve until they went to 4valve designs are true hemi designs.
I never once mentioned "what it looks like on the outside" i.e, plug location, giant valve cover, etc. I'm sure there's other automotive stuff out there with true hemi head designs (nobody mentioned Ford). I would imagine there have been many over the years.
My guess is the old poly engine is as close to a true hemi as that thing is.
So educate me.

Actually, the early Hemis are the only true Hemi engines that Chrysler has made thus far. Even the 2nd genreation 426 is not a true Hemi, but the early Hemis are. All it takes is a little reading.

He won't be convinced, because in his mind, a Hemi has to have the plug in between the valves, and that's not the definition of a Hemi. The shape of the combustion chamber is. That chamber is clearly in a semi circle.

How's this?

This is a pic of the Aussie, 265 Hemi-6 Combustion camber.

220px-HEMI_265ci_6_cylinder_combustion_chamber.JPG

I also found this....

For those interested the Hemi 6 Cyl engine was a upright inline 6 cyl motor made by Chrysler Australia for Australian A body cars, Whilst called a Hemi in reality it was a canted valve engine with ball stud rockers. It was produced in 215cui, 245 cui and 265cui sizes from 1970 to 1981 when Chrysler Australia was sold to Mitsubishi.

The 265 engine specs were Bore 3.91” (same as bore as the 318 but uses pistons with a higher gudgeon pin position), Stroke 3.68” Valves were 1.96”in 1.6” ex. It has 7 main bearing so bottom end is extremely durable, base model rods are stronger that Chevy pink rods, and high performance engines had even stronger rods again. Oil pump internal are the same as the 318 and slant but has a different housing and shaft.

in automotive form the 265 Hemi was produced in the following configurations:

203BHP @ 4800rpm & 262ft/lb @ 2000rpm (9.5:1 comp, 256deg cam, 2bbl carter, single outlet headers) (16.7sec ¼) 3 speed auto
218BHP @ 4800rpm & 273ft/lb @ 3000rpm (9.5:1 comp, 256deg cam, 2bbl carter, dual outlet headers) (15.7 sec ¼) 3 Speed auto
248BHP @ 4800rpm & 306ft/lb @ 3400rpm (9.7:1 Comp, 256deg cam, Triple Webbers, extractors into single exhaust) (15.0sec ¼) 3 Speed manual
270BHP @ 5000rpm & 310ft/lb @3700rpm (10.0:1 comp, 272deg Cam, Triple Webbers, Extractors into Dual 2” exhaust) (14.8sec ¼) 3 Speed manual
302BHP @ 5500rpm & 320ft/lb @4300rpm (10.5:1 comp, 308 deg cam, Triple Webbers, Extractors into Dual 2” exhaust) (0-60mph 6.1sec, 0-100mph in 14.1sec, 14.4sec ¼, shifting at 6500rpm - would also rev cleanly in top gear to 6500rpm @ 132mph) 4 Speed Manual
(1/4 times were in an A Body Australian Charger ~3100lb)

Like most Chrysler engines from the 50’s to the 70’s these were over engineered and were extremely durable – you would rarely see one broken down on the side of the road, even when not maintained for many years they would get rattly in the timing chain and lifters but just keep going and going, in the 70’s and 80’s it was common to see these hit 1,000,000+ miles in taxis on LPG. In 245cui form They were also used in 2 ton dodge pickups.

link: http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...lian-265-Hemi-inline-6-cyl-engine-information

Actually, the early Hemis are the only true Hemi engines that Chrysler has made thus far. Even the 2nd genreation 426 is not a true Hemi, but the early Hemis are. All it takes is a little reading.

You're absolutely right, Rob. That's why a covet my 392.. lol

I had it in my old 32 Ford Victoria until I sold the car (kept the engine). When the Vicky went to it's new home in Florida, it did so with a fresh built 318.

He won't be convinced, because in his mind, a Hemi has to have the plug in between the valves, and that's not the definition of a Hemi. The shape of the combustion chamber is. That chamber is clearly in a semi circle.

Seems your right about that, too, Rob.

Dude,
"Actually, the early Hemis are the only true Hemi engines that Chrysler has made thus far. Even the 2nd genreation 426 is not a true Hemi, but the early Hemis are. All it takes is a little reading. "
Ummm, your words not mine.
By the way,nice to meet you Rob, I'm Tom.

"He won't be convinced, because in his mind, a Hemi has to have the plug in between the valves, and that's not the definition of a Hemi. The shape of the combustion chamber is. That chamber is clearly in a semi circle."
Putting words in my mouth now...Never said that...
I can think of a lot of true hemi designs where the plug is elsewhere, in fact I own a number of other what I would call "true" hemi designs. They have names like BMW, Honda and Triumph. Most of them don't have enough space between the valves to put the plug there.

Frankie, thanks for the pic. Also liked all the other info...

Now, look at my post #16.
"Please, Show me more..." and," So, educate me."
I'm not past admitting when I'm wrong.
You'll also notice what I said about motorcycle engines, "Most 4stroke motorcycle engines from the time they went to overhead valve until they went to 4valve designs are true hemi designs." Notice that I said "until they went to 4valve designs"... With good reason, at that point they went to more of a "pent-roof" design, the intakes are parralel, as are the exhaust. Honda is the only one I recall to actually build a 4valve hemi, on their dirtbikes in the 80s...RFVC, RadialFourValveChamber, none of the valves were in the same orientation.

So listen guys, ya wanna break my stones, whatever. My skin is thick.
We're all entitled to our own opinions ( and you know what they say about opinions).

Tomayto, Tomahto...

Have fun!
Tom

The Hemi slant is an elaborate hoax. It was claimed to have welded two late model Hemi heads together...blah blah blah. But those pics and a few fake "under construction" pics are all that exist. The EFI slant however, has been around a long time. Just go to rancefi.com and see. Rance is da man.
Finally somebody got it right!

I see a wedge chamber, not a semicircle. But I don't have a trained eye.

-
Back