Hemi Smoking

-

69 Drt CH

Reaction score
I finally got my swap done and running, still in tuning stages but its getting better. Im new to the fuel injection world so its definitely a learning experience. I had issues in the beginning with a map sensor that was not wired right so it ran extremely fat, then I got the wires swapped on the map and its running much better. Now I am experiencing oil smoke. I assume some of it is because I dont have a catch can for the pcv yet but my fear is that due to running so rich that I may have washed cylinders out. Is this possible. Background on the motor, it was purchased back in 2005 out of a roll over with 18,000 miles on it and had been sitting in a garage ever since. My other thought is stuck rings, if that is the case can this be remedied or do I need to pull it back apart. I have heard everything from trans fluid to sea foam while running, and water mist to break up solidified deposits. Lots of questions I apologize.

Depends on how long/much it was running fat but they are pretty resilient engines so I'd say you are probably ok there. I would be more inclined to go with the stuck ring situation the remedy for which seems to be dealers choice in that there are a variety of them but none are a guarantee. I do believe that soaking the cylinders with some AT in probably as good a place to start as anywhere, pour some in and let it soak, rotate it preferably by hand once in awhile (with the plugs out)

Thats kind of what I was leaning towards from past experience, but wasnt sure with injected applications. I will go ahead and order another wide band O2 in case that process shells the one that is in it.

i planned on changing oil this weekend anyway, I think I will go to 5w-30 this time. I am using mobile 1 synthetic, what brand of oil are you guys using, and is synthetic the way to go?

Hemi is made for full synthetic. What year engine? The 09 and later engines have a really thin ring pack. The 03-08 have thin packs too. But, the later ones are thinner. Maybe pull plugs to track down which cylinder/s are smoking. Then do a leak down.

Don't cringe toooo much, but I had a Land Cruiser (V8) with about 200,000 on it and I started getting piston slap. I put about a quart of Marvels Mystery Oil in it for about 500 miles and it totally went away. The engine had about 250,000 on it when I last drove it and still no piston slap. I always ran a good full synthetic oil in it.

It an 03 motor that sat since 05. I changed the oil but havent driven it yet. I went to 5/30 so we will see

-
Back