hemi swap parts

-

podunkracing

Reaction score
where is the cheapest place to buy the swap parts. goin with carb setup and 727 or 4 speed setup in my 73 duster... and what is really needed to do this, i puting the same motor setup as my 04 ram, it runs 7.2s in the 1/8@ 5000 pounds race weight....

About the only pieces I found a deal on were the MSD and the flywheel. I got the flywheel on Ebay for $100 off and the MSD and harness for it from StreetSideAuto (I think) for probably about another $100 off between the two. Otherwise, at least when I was doing the swap, manufacturers were still about the only places carrying their parts (like my intake from Indy and headers from TTI). For things like the Milodon pan you can find them in several places, but they're usually all around the same price by the time you get them to the door. Some places look cheaper but charge more for shipping so you end up paying the same.

Absolute minimum?

For a carbed motor which is arguably the cheapest way to get this swap into a hemi, you'll need the following:

1. Intake manifold, Absolute cheapest dual quad Edelbrock, next cheapest Indy Mod Man intake manifold. Around $400.00

2. Carb, vacuum secondary Holley prices vary, you could buy one used for a hundred bucks or spend $500.00

3. MSD Hemi-6 ignition box ebay, 430.00 + 185.00 wiring harness from Summit.

4. Motor Mounts from TTI biscuit type 133.00, Spool Type 250.00 Price is pretty much the same no matter who you buy from.

5. Exhaust, Cheapest? Use 5.7 exhaust manifolds from a Jeep Cherokee. Prices vary. Headers, the only ones available for an A-Body are from TTI and they are 718-748 dollars. SOME ONLINE RETAILERS WILL SELL THE TTI MOUNTS and HEADERS TOGETHER FOR THE PRICE OF THE HEADERS ALONE. Search this out, you might save a bit of cash.

6. Oil Filter Relocation Kit, or modify your K-Frame and use a 45 degree Adapter. 27.00 from Street and Performance. Cutting and boxing the K-Frame has the added advantage of NO oil lines that can leak. Personally I'm not afraid of oil lines, but the adapter is cheaper and arguably better.

7. The Oil Pan Milodon is the cheapest at summit for 209 + 76 for a pickup.

8. Electric fuel pump. 100.00

Total cost: Cheapest 1910.00 - 2895.00

If you go fuel injection, Prices are all over the map. Someone could arguably go MSII (Megasquirt II) with Megasquirt and Spark + a homemade wiring harness would be cheaper than a carb setup. A MS-3 Setup is more expensive but more powerful and EASIER to make work on the Hemi. I HOPE to have less in my MS3 setup than in a carb setup, but we'll see.

A Hot-Wire Auto wiring harness and computer reprogram runs $1300.00 - $1600.00 and utilizes the factory computer.

Or you could go with a near plug and play setup from FAST for $3200.00.

With all the above fuel injection setups you'll also have to do a fuel system with costs ranging from as little as $200.00 to over $1000.00. DIYautotune.com has a fuel pump for $110.00 and you can use a filter/regulator from a corvette Speedway Motors for $70.00 http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Fuel-Filter-Regulator-Kit,41791.html

Best bet, sharpen your pencil, start your internet searches.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Depending on your patients some of the stuff can be acquired cheaper if you scavenge for deals or make things yourself. I personally will be making my own mounts, modifying the truck oil pan and pickup, building my own headers and running a stock style pump in a home baffled tank. A whole lot more time this way but if you are lacking in the cash department sometimes you have to make your time = money.

Those are only 33 bucks cheaper then the tti mounts.

I got some poly suspension bushings for $8, 1/4 plate for $10 bucks and some DOM tubing for $10....and that takes care of the tranny and engine mounts...so ~$30 for mounts. It just takes more time...

But this way I can put the engine and transmission where I want it instead of where they put it and cut out the existing motor mounts plates on the k-frame allowing me to run the stock oil filter configuration thus saving me even more money.

I've got no issues with buying bolt in parts, not naysaying here. Just saying that if you are willing to take the time you can end up with the same or better result with lest monetary costs.

-
Back