HEMI swap

-

AZ69dartGT

Reaction score
I'm interested in doing the swap. My concerns are

1; What year HEMI is the easiest to swap in?
2; from a truck or car?
3; best place to look for it?
4; Do you need an after market wiring harness
5; I would like to use a tranny that come with the engine what years to avoid per wiring also?

Any help would be great! I plane on putting it in my 69 Dart.

I'm interested in doing the swap. My concerns are

1; What year HEMI is the easiest to swap in?
2; from a truck or car?
3; best place to look for it?
4; Do you need an after market wiring harness
5; I would like to use a tranny that come with the engine what years to avoid per wiring also?

Any help would be great! I plane on putting it in my 69 Dart.
1. 2004 & up (only need 1 computer for motor & trans )
2. dosent matter ( car is better looking IMO)
3. local bone yard, Ebay
4. It makes life a lot easier.
5. 2004 up truck trans (545rfe) can't do car trans yet.
good luck....

1. 2004 & up (only need 1 computer for motor & trans )
2. dosent matter ( car is better looking IMO)
3. local bone yard, Ebay
4. It makes life a lot easier.
5. 2004 up truck trans (545rfe) can't do car trans yet.
good luck....

Thanks man I hope to get rolling on this, but never know military life is never consistant!

man i could not have ever restored a car while i was in the army. you move too much.

Yeah it's hard but, I'm gonna try to get this thing done by the end of summer. I even got a second job to save money to drop on it.

Car motor is a lot easier, there's a lot of differences between the truck hemi and the car hemi, pulley setup, balancer, alternater position, intake, fuel runners, tranny (physically bigger), if you put them side by side you would see. I'm considering doing one down the road and have been looking at all the options. I know of a shop who I have been talking to (a long time friend) and he's telling what to do and how to do it. He's fixing a 69 Dart that a guy put a Hemi in from a truck and it's already about $2800 extra to convert the truck Hemi to fit the Dart, that he could have saved if he used the car Hemi. . The car hemi is just a better fit. It seems that a lot of people look at the truck Hemi's becuase there's a lot more of them around and cheaper. Look for a car hemi and tranny it will save time and money. Information is everywhere and free...

I would have to argue with you on that. It's just different, not better or worse to run the car stuff vs the truck stuff. I agree that the car setup looks cleanerr when installed, but that's about it. The furl rails are about the same the transfer tube and fuel connection points are different but that's about all. The manifolds are different, but the performance diffrence is not that much. And all problems can be resolved. In my caes it would cost alot to go with a car motor vs the truck. Seeing how I own a wrecked truck (my wifes old daily driver) so I have all the needed parts. And they didn't cost anything. But if I was starting with nothing, I would have went with the car motor baised off of looks alone for the final install.

I would have to argue with you on that. It's just different, not better or worse to run the car stuff vs the truck stuff. I agree that the car setup looks cleanerr when installed, but that's about it. The furl rails are about the same the transfer tube and fuel connection points are different but that's about all. The manifolds are different, but the performance diffrence is not that much. And all problems can be resolved. In my caes it would cost alot to go with a car motor vs the truck. Seeing how I own a wrecked truck (my wifes old daily driver) so I have all the needed parts. And they didn't cost anything. But if I was starting with nothing, I would have went with the car motor baised off of looks alone for the final install.

I would have to agree, there is really not much difference. One of the big differences would be MDS, the trucks do not have it (maybe the new ones do). I for one plan on using the MDS, why not?, I won't ming getting 25+mpg on the highway.

I would have to agree, there is really not much difference. One of the big differences would be MDS, the trucks do not have it (maybe the new ones do). I for one plan on using the MDS, why not?, I won't ming getting 25+mpg on the highway.
my 04 ram didnt have mds but my 06 ram does. the 06 and up trucks have it.

i'm in agreement with both tin and ramit. car or truck you still need different oil pans. and exhaust manifolds and the same motor mounts. yes a truck hemi can be gotten at a better price. and if you shop right you can get the car intake and timing cover with accessaries. still for less than buying the car setup as a whole rigt now your friend is spending more because he's having a shop' "friend or not" do it, and the shop still has to make money.

If you go with the truck engine and AlterKtion, you won't have to worry about getting a new oil pan and oil pick up.... or, so I hear. I will let you know soon as I am getting close to dropping the truck hemi onto an AlterKtion K frame. Check it out at....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=109794&page=5

And, Tincup, I have gotten MANY ideas from your build. Especially the shock tower mods.

If you go with the truck engine and AlterKtion, you won't have to worry about getting a new oil pan and oil pick up.... or, so I hear. I will let you know soon as I am getting close to dropping the truck hemi onto an AlterKtion K frame. Check it out at....

And, Tincup, I have gotten MANY... it to avoid buying the pan sounds off to me.

Thanks man I hope to get rolling on this, but never know military life is never consistant!
Minot AFB! That's awesome man, my dad was born and raised in minot and was stationed there when he went to vietnam in 1970. He received a purple heart after stepping on a land mine. Good luck on the project and keep us posted! Thanks for your service to our country.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=109794&page=5

And, Tincup, I have gotten MANY ideas from your build. Especially the shock tower mods.

tincup used an alterktion, and changed his oil pan!

I'm planning to pickup a car from the auction use what I need and part out the rest...Complete trucks are pretty cheap and easy to sell parts to. Also making my own alterkation front end setup with coil suspension and disc brakes and rear four link with disc brakes with air ride. Which ever you choose (truck or car) will work due to the fact you will have to make modifications with both. 2006 and up have mds for better fuel economy. I plan to go with the car setup, only becuase I've seen both and the car setup to me was a cleaner look. I plan to run a stock Hemi with airconditioning for reliabilty, just a weekend car and long trips. I don't know the guy who owns the Dart just that my buddy (I've know for over 30 years) who owns the shop has to fix the Dart because the guy put the motor in himself and made a mess of it. The Dart has a truck Hemi which needs some car stuff put on it to work. I agree the shop has to make money, you wouldn't believe the operating costs a working shop has.... My buddy has done a few of these conversions already and prefers the car Hemi's. Either one works. Price things out and see what will work for you. Good luck with the build and all the best. Post some pics.....

Thanks for the kinds words and advice! I read that the HEMIs will bolt up to the 904's? If that's correct would that be easier to rebuild the 904 since it's consol shifted. Does that matter? It would be easier and cheaper for me.

-
Back