Hemi Tune Files and Carb Settings

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
As was mentioned in a separate thread I would like to try to get a new source going for anyone who would like to share and help out others to get their engines up and running and tuned to run like they are really capable of. Uhcoog1 has generously offered to host tuning files for the time being, so once that gets set up and he gets the files we can start posting links. For the time being though I'll try to get the ball rolling. If you can, please list whatever details you can about your build to help others in determining if your tune is something that would be beneficial for them to use as a starting point or not.

WARNING: THESE FILES MAY WORK FOR WHOEVER POSTED THEM, BUT THAT IS NO GUARANTEE THAT YOU CAN JUST LOAD THEM INTO YOUR ENGINE COMPUTER AND GO. PLEASE CHECK EVERYTHING OVER AND VERIFY SETTINGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO USE THESE FILES.

They are provided as a source to study and use to help determine what may work best for you. I HOLD NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR SOMEONE DAMAGING THEIR ENGINE BECAUSE THEY USED MY TUNE OR ANYONE ELSES. I know for a fact that I have some goofy settings in my Megasquirt file because I only use it to run the fuel injection. There are settings for ignition that are dummy values that have no bearing on how my engine runs.

Engine details:

5.7 Hemi block and internals, standard displacement, rotating assembly, cam, and heads, stock 06+ coils

Indy Mod Man intake with 4bbl top plate

TTI headers

Accel DFI 1200 cfm 4bbl throttle body with GM TPS sensor and IAC motor

GM coolant and MAT/IAT sensor

Innovative LC-1 wideband O2 sensor and controller

MSD 6-Hemi ingition system running on stock crank, cam, and MAP sensors

Megasquirt 2 computer running MS 2/Extra firmware (will update with exact build when I check it later) (for those that don't know, the Megasquirt system comes with a built in MAP sensor that just requires a vacuum line from the manifold to run, so I actually have two MAP sensors in my system, the stock one for MSD and the built in one for the Megasquirt)

Injectors are stock 5.7 Hemi and the fuel pressure in the system is set at 60 psi using a vacuum reference regulator (60 psi at ambient)

Megasquirt setup:

Alternating batch fire injection (fire one rail at a time alternating)
IAC used only for warmup similar to a choke (not used to maintain idle speed at temperature, yet at least)
O2 feedback enabled for closed loop running
Electronic fan control set for 200 on 190 off (I think, pretty sure it's wired on the FIdle circuit as well)
WARNING: MY IGNITION IS SET UP TO RUN A DISTRIBUTOR STYLE IGNITION IN THE SOFTWARE. THIS IS ONLY USED TO RUN THE TACHOMETER AND NOTHING ELSE. The timing values in the timing table are based on my MSD timing values for the fun of it, but they do not control anything. I put them in that way so that I had a rough idea what the timing was without having to hook my computer up to my MSD box, but that does not mean that they are the same as what the MSD is actually doing.

MSD Timing file: http://3gduster.com/tuning/Map63VetteMSD.IGN

Megasquirt tune file: http://3gduster.com/tuning/Map63VetteMSQ.msq

Screenshots of timing and fuel curves:http://3gduster.com/tuning.html

Map63Vette is going to send me files and pics via email! If anyone else has anything they are willing to share, I will host for everyone. Ideally we are able to get a pretty extensive list going, with tunes for all types of engine control units and/or spark control units.

Disclaimer: the downloads and data are for informational purposes only.

Files are posted and hosted! MAP will update his first post above with the screenshots and download links. The information is also available on my duster project site at:

http://3gduster.com/tuning.html

If anyone else is willing to share their tune files, please let me know and we will add them to the page! I'd love to have tunes from mild to wild with all engine management systems posted and available for the hemi community!

Anybody running an MS3 setup?

I have considered running an MS3 setup with dual spark boxes but have yet to decide that its actually cost effective. Looked to end up around $900 without a wide band 02.

Thoughts?

I think there were a few others here that were looking into the MS3. I think Joe Dokes may have been and I believe Sinister was also going with the MS3 as opposed to the 2. You could probably still use a fair amount of the tune info from the MS2 file, don't think there are too many differences in the base settings. If you plan to run sequential though you're pretty much on your own. The injector timing values might work okay, but I would suspect it would be on the rich side for the lower rpms at least.

I'm no expert, but I don't know that the MS3 offers too many extra features on it's own over the 2 without all the expansion pieces you have you get for things like sequential injection and what not. There was a nice table on some site showing the comparison between the different models. Shoot, my MS2 can do a bunch of stuff that I'm not even using, though I can slowly try to phase them in if I choose at some point. I'm only really using the 2 because I got one used, but I've been really happy with it so far.

One of the things that sold me on the 3 over 2 was using usb instead of serial port as I have no old computer to use. On top of that I would want to run sequential multiport. I'd also be using it to run the spark so from what I have read MS3 is the best option there. Again though, I have no real world experience, just the little I've read.

Ah, yeah, that built in USB (and SD card logging even) would be pretty handy. You can get serial to USB converters pretty easy and cheap, but not needing one would be nice. I think sparking a Hemi with any of them can be a bit of a challenge, though they did just come out with their own spark module that would probably make it a fair deal easier than it used to be. Not to mention you don't have to have two different cables hooked up and two programs running at the same time to see the whole picture when the engine is running.

I bought an MS3 with the Expansion Board KIT. Putting the kit together wasn't that hard, if you can solder and follow directions it is pretty straightforward.

I chose the MS3 over the MS2 because with the MS3X board you gain full sequential fuel injection, and full spark control. With MS2, the best you can do is wasted spark, and batch firing.

Here's a cross reference between the various flavors of megasquirt:

http://www.ms3efi.com/feature-xref.html

As others have mentioned the MS3 has a provision for USB. This has the added benefit since a lot of laptops don't come with serial connectors any longer.

Here's an article on Megasquirting a Hemi, it's been posted here before, I wish I could give credit to the first guy to find it. If It's you, thanks.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_new_hemi.htm

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Here's an article on Megasquirting a Hemi, it's been posted here before, I wish I could give credit to the first guy to find it. If It's you, thanks.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_new_hemi.htm

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thanks for posting that! I forgot about that. I've got an MS3x box built by diyautotune, and a couple Bosch 211's I bought on ebay for coil drivers. I bought a factory wiring harness I'm going to splice off of as well. Hopefully everything will work together like it should and I won't be dumbfounded.

Never thought about using a factory harness as a starting point for a Megasquirt, that's a really good idea. That way you'd have all the connectors and everything already there, though wire routing might get interesting depending on where the ECU was in the car stock.

Map63,

With the exception of the Microsquirt version of Megasquirt, (Side note: if the MS people would ever finish the Megasquirt Sequencer, which also is sealed and thus designed for underhood mounting, you could use the factory harness and simply change the plugs on the ends) the ECM needs to mounted inside the car.

Even so, on my 6.1L Hemi from an 06 Charger, the factory engine harness is quite long. Many of wires will probably be long enough to reach into the car. Unfortunately some wires will need to lengthened, :( I'd like to continue to use the factory wire colors, but considering a lot of the colors are blue with a green and gold stripe getting the wire in the same configuration might be tough.

While it would be nice to make an entirely new harness, I've found it nearly impossible to find the Chrysler plugs and connectors, if you have a source please post it. Also, even if you have a source, my guess is they are expensive. I've decided to use some weatherpak plugs from some of my wiring and they get pricey fast.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yeah, I looked around and found a few websites that carry factory style connectors, but it's a crapshoot making sure you get exactly the right one and I don't know that I saved the pages. I didn't end up making much of my harness because the MSD had the coil, crank, and cam sensor plugs already and the computer I got came with the harness and sensors. They were GM pieces, and while I could have tried to calibrate the Megasquirt to work with Dodge pieces, the only ones I'd be able to replace would be the intake and coolant temp ones. The throttle body has the IAC and TPS built into it, so there's no point swapping them out. I did have to get an IAC plug, but I just got that from DIYAutoTune. I had to cut the harness down and lengthen where needed on a few pieces, but for the most part I got lucky and only had to shorten stuff.

There is someone in the development stage of bringing a sealed MS3 with everything needed to the market for us 3G hemi guys. Wiring harness, throttle body, etc. Should be a really nice and well thought out combo when it hits the market. Too bad I won't be able to use it seeing as I've got it all already :(

-
Back