Hemi vs Wedge

-
Charlie Malyuke built a 383 with Hemi heads back in the early Pro Stock days. See the extra bolt hole bosses?

View attachment 1715326469
One has to wonder how many 383 blocks were turned into scrap during the R&D phase of figuring out how to successfully complete all the welding of that much cast iron. With Victor's powder flow cast iron welding torch, the welding would be greatly simplified but would be appallingly expensive with the amount of iron powder that would be required.

Last edited:
Allpar page said the original idea came from adapting a hemi head on a RB block

Despite what many people think or believe, Chrysler did not invent the Hemi engine. The French had a hemi-head engine in a Peugeot in the early 20th century. During World War II, Pratt and Whitney radial aircraft engines used hemi heads.

Alan R. Welch and his brothers, owners of the Welch Motor Car Company, are credited for pioneering the hemispherical engine. The power plant was a simple 20-horsepower, 2-cylinder engine with a single overhead camshaft. Although the General Motors discontinued the HEMI in 1910 when it bought Welch, Peugeot developed its own hemispherical engine. BMW mass-produced a HEMI version before Chrysler engineered it for modern use.

Ok forgive my ignorance, this post intrigued me as well. Is there a difference in the block for example a 426 wedge vs a 426 hemi? Or is the block the same and its just a simple head change?

The Hemi has an extra row of head bolts on the intake valley side. That's about it other than some small differences in the oiling system.

Despite what many people think or believe, Chrysler did not invent the Hemi engine. The French had a hemi-head engine in a Peugeot in the early 20th century. During World War II, Pratt and Whitney radial aircraft engines used hemi heads.

Alan R. Welch and his brothers, owners of the Welch Motor Car Company, are credited for pioneering the hemispherical engine. The power plant was a simple 20-horsepower, 2-cylinder engine with a single overhead camshaft. Although the General Motors discontinued the HEMI in 1910 when it bought Welch, Peugeot developed its own hemispherical engine. BMW mass-produced a HEMI version before Chrysler engineered it for modern use.
That's pretty much a direct copy out of that article that I just pasted..

That's pretty much a direct copy out of that article that I just pasted..

Part of it is from that article. I didn't see or read your link tho. Looked it up myself.
Btw I have Never heard Anybody call a flathead ford a Wedge.

Ok forgive my ignorance, this post intrigued me as well. Is there a difference in the block for example a 426 wedge vs a 426 hemi? Or is the block the same and its just a simple head change?
head bolts are in a diff place and more of them on a hemi, drain back holes in the corners of the hemi block, cam lobes are in a diff location, to name a few ----------

Last edited:
One has to wonder how many 383 blocks were turned into scrap during the R&D phase of figuring out how to successfully complete all the welding of that much cast iron. With Victor's powder flow cast iron welding torch, the welding would be greatly simplified but would be appallingly expensive with the amount of iron powder that would be required.

Weren`t those 'destroked " hemi`s / didn`t work !!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this, couldn`t remember the names.

Weren`t those 'destroked " hemi`s / didn`t work !!
More or less. There was a Nascar destroker that used the standard hemi block, 7.35 inch Nascar 1/2 inch SPS bolt rods (boat anchor heavy!) and a billet crank that was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.2 inch stroke. This all was the product of 366 inch Hemi rule dictated by Nascar and made popular in NHRA by weight break requirement. Another product of these rules was the Weslake designed D5 high velocity round port twin plug head. It has been a long time since I read the full write up on the modified 383 block 366 Hemi, but if recall correctly, the reduction in weight and reciprocating mass along with a more realistic rod ratio made the destroked Hemi a contender again.

More or less. There was a Nascar destroker that used the standard hemi block, 7.35 inch Nascar 1/2 inch SPS bolt rods (boat anchor heavy!) and a billet crank that was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.2 inch stroke. This all was the product of 366 inch Hemi rule dictated by Nascar and made popular in NHRA by weight break requirement. Another product of these rules was the Weslake designed D5 high velocity round port twin plug head. It has been a long time since I read the full write up on the modified 383 block 366 Hemi, but if recall correctly, the reduction in weight and reciprocating mass along with a more realistic rod ratio made the destroked Hemi a contender again.

Carl Harvey bought John Force's old funny car back in about 76. He put a nascar 366 hemi in it. He set the A econo funny class ET record with it at the Tucson Winter Nationals with it.
I later traded a .030 over hemi for the short block.

Heres a pic of a pic lol. Dads n mine 54 Meteor, like you said Canadian only. Flathead 8. Pic was taken around 83 or so.
Hello! Have any pics to share of that one? I have heard that 50 and 51 were the only production years of the Crestline. I wouldn't normally ask but my dad is a fan of those and the meteor Canadian Ford cars.

20180327_104350.jpg

That's a sharp car there, dad's first car was a '49 ford business coupe with a flathead V8 and three speed with overdrive.

Lol, yeah. Pic is about 24"x16" and on parquet flooring (b**ch) to remove!
Car was an estate sale from original owner. 38,*** on the odo. Purred like a kitten but a bondo buggy. Dad drove it for a couple years than stored it for a decade or so. Storage owner passed away (RIP Tom), had to get it out, Dad was sick and I was out west in Saskatchewan 2 provinces away. Motor still ran, but needed some major bodywork.
Dad sold it for $500 in 2013. Got taken on it. Original spare and jack was still in the trunk. Sorry for the ramble, not often a Meteor gets mentioned lol.
I only drove the damned thing twice(at most) lol
That looks like it could be the box of a model kit

That's a sharp car there, dad's first car was a '49 ford business coupe with a flathead V8 and three speed with overdrive.

Our '54 Ford we had was the most fun car I've owned to drive down the road just cruis'n at 55 mph. Wasn't fast by any means. I'll have to find a picture and post.

I don't agree w/ that , that destroked hemi was a dog ,I remember watching nascar back then, they couldn`t win a race w/ it !

Agreed that the destroked Hemi was a dog and the rule change effectively killed the Hemi in nascar. The 383 based destroker was part of the Hemi Colt/Wire Car era. It wasn’t developed until after the 358 inch limit came into effect in nascar in 1975. Big blocks were still allowed in nascar in 1975, but were sanctioned out of competition by the restrictor plate rules.

Actually some flat head fords did become Hemis thanks to Zora Arkus Duntov, he created a Hemi conversion head for the flat head Ford's. Called it the Ardun head which was a play on his name. Please forgive me, I guess there's still a little Corvette coming out of me now and then.:)

IMG_20190428_212024.JPG

That's okay! I think most of us have been guilty of wanting a corvette of some shape or form at one time or another... I still want an '82 silver anniversary with a wildly unconventional power plant and transmission combination even if the only way I could get in and out of one now is if it had a flip top body.

-
Back