Herbert Solid Roller Lifters?

-

gzig5

Reaction score
Any feedback on the Herbert solid roller lifters for LA's? They have T6172 bushed for ~$1100 and TEV (needle bearing?) for $400. Haven't heard anything about these before.

I use the needle bearing ones.
No failures. Lash stays put.
People say it's the quietest motor they've heard.
I like them.

No experience in small mopars, but I ran Herberts in a 406 chevy with around .600 lift with comp stainless rockers. Never had any movement of lash, no problems at all.
(If I remember right, I paid around $125. It was a while ago, lol)
Edit, re-read op post. I ran the roller version, I don't think they had the bushed ones then.

Hint: there is a veeeeeeeeeeery good reason that these bushed lifters [ & other brands ] cost much more than needle rollers...

Bushed were recommended over .600 lift and >450 lbs iirc. Not sure why they are triple the price though?

I don't see myself going over .600 lift with the current heads I have for this 340 build so the lower cost ones would probably get me by. They are ProMaxx 171s and supposed to flow 251-254 @.500-.600" so doesn't make sense at this point to lift it higher. If I can find someone to do it, I might get them touched up to get into the 285 cfm area. The recommendation I got from from Jones for a SFT was 244/252 @.050" .365"/.364" Lobe Lift (.584"/.582" @1.6 ratio) 108 LSA. I'm struggling with taking the jump to a roller setup because a SFT would probably do 90% of what I can handle. But like the guy in the Dirty Harry movie said, "I gots to know". The roller should provide more area under the curve, and thus more power for a given lift?
I don't know if it affects anything but this is not going to be a drag race motor. It will be driven on the street as much as I can and see road course and Auto-X tracks as often as I can. I'm looking for something that will generate good mid-range for coming of the corners but rev and have good top end. I have a Milodon gear drive and am looking at chasing down a set of T&D shaft mount rockers, but I'm not sure they are worth the effort to mill the stands off in order to implement them. I've got 1 3/4" Hooker headers and while I'll start out with an Air Gap, at some point I'm going to play with an Edelbrock TR5 Tunnel Ram. I'm trying to use the best quality parts I can afford and put it together intelligently, which is the bigger challenge. Too much time on my hands to think, with this cold weather. Can't wait for a warm up to get some of this in motion.

T&D are very pricey, not much gain of you are not running battleship springs. A tunnel ram on a road course...ask around.

T&D are very pricey, not much gain of you are not running battleship springs. A tunnel ram on a road course...ask around.
I might be able to get a smoking deal on them and that's the only reason I would do it. I also have a good set of 273 rockers or brand new 1.6 ratio PRW's to choose from. Not like I "NEED" the T&D but if I can get them cheap, why not? Other than the cutting the heads and dedicating the to the rockers thing....

I might be able to get a smoking deal on them and that's the only reason I would do it. I also have a good set of 273 rockers or brand new 1.6 ratio PRW's to choose from. Not like I "NEED" the T&D but if I can get them cheap, why not? Other than the cutting the heads and dedicating the to the rockers thing....

your not going to get T&D’s “cheap”
I would buy the Mancini Harland Sharp made stuff. Lifetime warranty, nice, and they are cheap( under. Plenty fine for that flat tappet cam..which sounds well specc’ed to me

your not going to get T&D’s “cheap”
I would buy the Mancini Harland Sharp made stuff. Lifetime warranty, nice, and they are cheap( under. Plenty fine for that flat tappet cam..which sounds well specc’ed to me
Less than $350 isn’t cheap for NOS unused system?? I might get them whether I decide to use them or not. Just not convenient to get to at the moment.
I’ll probably stay with a sft but it is fun to consider a roller. I think he specced a good one

-
Back