Here they come!

-
Here come the General Masses. Some people are like sheep. They just follow the herd.

Question. Why did you put a 350 chevy in your ford?

Answere. Because every one else was doing it.
Sorta like "why did you replace your 8 3/4 with a 9" Ford??"<g>

So what if the SS will run high 12s, I saw a SRT 8 Challenger with a mopar cold air kit and no other mods run 12.54 2 weeks ago and they look better doing it.

I like the new camaro. especially the triple black one they brought to SEMA

and in response as to why people put chevy engines in their old fords, well let's face it, ford engines suck, and the SBC is one of the best V8s ever, nevermind the fact the LSx series is amazing as well.

I know i'm going to get flamed here, but I'm just a fan of V8 cars and old school cars in general.

Flame Suit on.

the new challys would have looked nice in fy1 yellow.
the new camaro beat us to it.
DAMN

Not by me you wont, at least not on the motors. The Gen III small-blocks are fantastic motors. Would love to put one in my Chevy II, especially with a BIG cam, single plane and a big ol' double-pumper.

Holy CRAP! I just noticed, I'm a "senior member"! How long till I make k-member? 3rd-member?

It's ok. i give that platform (and the Challenger) a max of two years production assuming the makers are not going into bankruptcy. GM's head was forced out today. Mopar better get with fiat or they're bust. Get them while you can. They are instant classics. Like the Edsel.

Kinda looks more like "There they go!"

That's funny!

I just think this looks much better!

DSC01798.jpg

i think there great. have never owned anything but mopars and probably never will but appreciate other makes. i think most of the guys hacking new camaro's and challengers probably could not afford one anyways.

I like the new camaro. especially the triple black one they brought to SEMA

and in response as to why people put chevy engines in their old fords, well let's face it, ford engines suck, and the SBC is one of the best V8s ever, nevermind the fact the LSx series is amazing as well.

I know i'm going to get flamed here, but I'm just a fan of V8 cars and old school cars in general.

Flame Suit on.

Flame you? What for?

Check out my Dads LS-7 sand car.:-D it put out 700HP

I may make fun of chebbys and phords. But its just for fun.

My DD is a ford truck.

Har's Alumicraft.jpg

Well, as I was listening to this today, thew one thing that ran through my mind was is the "Mopar performance" program gonna survive this. M1 intakes might be headed for "collector" status in a matter of weeks. As far as the cars, Chrysler ceased to exist with Lee Iacocca, so I wont really lose any sleep over it, other than what it means for the economy overall. There is no lineage whatsoever between the current Challenger and the cars I know and love as mopars. Theres just no connection, other than the name, regardless of how anyone personally feels about these cars. Guess now I'll be the one getting flamed, but thats just the way it is. The Chrysler that made Roadrunners Challengers and GTXs went out of business in the late seventies. "Restructured" is just a nicer way of saying "bankrupt".

Well, as I was listening to this today, thew one thing that ran through my mind was is the "Mopar performance" program gonna survive this. M1 intakes might be headed for "collector" status in a matter of weeks. As far as the cars, Chrysler ceased to exist with Lee Iacocca, so I wont really lose any sleep over it, other than what it means for the economy overall. There is no lineage whatsoever between the current Challenger and the cars I know and love as mopars. Theres just no connection, other than the name, regardless of how anyone personally feels about these cars. Guess now I'll be the one getting flamed, but thats just the way it is. The Chrysler that made Roadrunners Challengers and GTXs went out of business in the late seventies. "Restructured" is just a nicer way of saying "bankrupt".

That is true and every Ford and Chevy guy feels the same way.... "they don't make them like they used to."

But we (Mopar, Ford and Chevy) guys have to make the best of what we can get... that is if you can afford it. LOL

Yeah, I cant afford one. That's why I think they're ugly. Same reason Angelina is ugly and anyone making more than me is a snob.

Maybe the guys that can afford them are all too stupid to build a real car. :D

George, I'm with you. The new cars are intersting in thier overall performance. But with two friends that own Challengers, I'll pass. I have yet to find one I like the look of. Never mind the Chargers...

I think the new Challengers are great.I would like to see them step up with some stripe packages though. Strobes , bumble bee stripes , or long side stripes would be very welcome in my book. I did just this weekend see a white Challenger with marks starting at the hood going down to the front fender. It looked cool.

I just cant get used to the new Camaro. Its the back that is so strange looking .Why didnt they go for 69 z28 type lights . It would have been a better look.

Im not saying they dont make them like they used to, we all know that. I am saying something more fundamental. When Chrysler was "restructured" under Lee Iacocca it became a different company. The lineage back to the musclecar era Chrysler, the ACTUAL company, was broken, and the company that built the cars we love, essentially ceased to exist, as anything except the name. Overnight, they stopped making cars with torsion bars, and started sourcing motors from VOLKSWAGEN.
Alot of guys dont remember how major, how catastrophic, this changeover actually was. Its little more than a historical footnote now, but for my money, the company that was founded by Walter P Chrysler in 1924, that bought Dodge in 1929, that built the Airflow, the early hemi, the max wedge & on & on, ceased to exist at that point, & was re-born as a new company that was Chrysler in name only. General Motors & Ford have yet to go through this kind of re-birth(or death, from my point of view) but it certainly looks like GM is about to.
Fundamentally, what I'm saying here, is if you love the new Challenger for what it is, thats fine, thats cool, but dont delude yourself into thinking that you should love it because its a "Mopar", because you can make a VERY strong, historically based case that its not.

Yeah, I cant afford one. That's why I think they're ugly. Same reason Angelina is ugly and anyone making more than me is a snob.

Maybe the guys that can afford them are all too stupid to build a real car. :D

George, I'm with you. The new cars are intersting in thier overall performance. But with two friends that own Challengers, I'll pass. I have yet to find one I like the look of. Never mind the Chargers...
Well thats the crux of the issue, you dont even have to be able to read or write to sign a cheque, if you can fog a mirror, you can buy a new car. The first thing that always runs through my mind is 'what could I build for that kind of money".Although with the condition Chrysler is in right now, pretty soon, that challenger might get pretty cheap.

I wouldn't mind taking one of those 430 hp 6 speed SS Camaros for a test drive. The modern GM V8s are impressive. Isn't the Corvette the ONLY car in world with over 400 hp and no gas guzzler tax? Funny how no other car company can achieve that isn't it?

Personally I have a 1972 Swinger /6, a 2005 PT Cruiser,a 1996 Mustang GT convert, a 1999 Ranger p-up, and a 1999 Corvette FRC w/ over 400hp and 33mpg, i like cars not just one.

Those are gross, Dodge and Ford kicked Chevys *** in the retro muscle designs! These look like over stuffed Cavaliers or Cobalts!!

Ya, I agree macadoo1961, have any of you guy's seen the new AMC Javelin SST concept????? Those are just as cool as the new challenger in my book. Totally awesome!!!!! They look exactly like a '70 AMX.

got alot of people who likes chevy, say they like the challenger better than the camaros, they really love the color of my challenger.

line'em up against that many challengers and race'em one by one... we'll see which car wins the majority of those races... of course the camaro would win if it were an ugly contest. I mean... I was actually kind of hoping it would be cool... but I think the guys at GM dropped the ball with the design for this one.

I will concede is that the Challenger looks better than the Camaro, by a LONG shot. Theres a black retro Mustang around here with DOTS and Bogarts on it that actually looks kinda ok, but just about ANYTHING is improved by DOTs and Bogarts.

-
Back