Reaction score
Looking for FABO electrical detectives.

Engine off.
Key to "on" position
Turn signals work ok

Start Engine
Left turn signal works ok
Right turn signal causes headlights to flash

Kill engine keeping ignition in "on" position (separate power to MSD)
Right signal returns to normal.

I am so frustrated Im ready to start using hand signals.
I unplugged the headlight switch with no difference
I pulled the headlights and cleaned the terminals, no difference
I pulled the dimmer switch, checked wires, works fine, no difference.

How the heck is the headlights in the turn signal wiring anyhoo! and why the heck did this issue start in the first place.

Recent wiring - voltage regulator wiring to new alternator, pretty straight forward. I don't think this problem started then but then again I just got this car on the road so it just started seeing nighttime driving.

Any Ideas?

I will start there, thanks. Rock Auto seems to have just about everything, I will look there or Year One.

Nice rainy day in SC to troubleshoot this crazy possessed wiring issue. I have heard of stories like this before...turn the headlights on and the wipers start and things like that, I used to laugh at them and think the idiot probably made a simple wiring error.....now I'm the idiot!

I will go through all of the grounds, you know the dash is just sitting in there, its not screwed in, it tips way out when I launch. Does anyone know if you need to have the dash wired up for other electrical functions to work correctly. Like if the circuit board was cooked would that make anything weird happen besides just the gauges not working?

Have a good day all.

Can anyone tell me why the starter wont crank with the dash unplugged and pulled out, what the heck have I disconnected?
Can I jump whatever it is until I get my new circuit boards put in?

Everything on these cars is chassis grounded including the instrument panel. It will not function properly while dangling from the harness connectors.

I would clean EVERY ground you can find on foward light harness (front turn signals, lights or replace them if questionable, poor gounds make WEIRD things happen all over. It also possibly your through the firewall bulkhead connector is corroded up causing the circuits to bleed though and mess with each other, pull it apart if you can do so without destroying it and give it a good wd-40 bath

my horn only works if the engine is running,but that i can live with,my worse episode with electrical was trying to find out why the hell my frount marker lights would not stay on when the headlights came on.Two days i chased wires only to come on here for 5 mins and find out the marker lights didnt stay on with the headlights till 68.

All is well, once again FABO comes through for me. It ended up being the neutral safety switch...damn! I dug and pulled and tested and cussed....never again!!

Thanks to all who wrote to me, I did find some questionable grounds that I repaired.

Greg

-
Back