Here's an idea

-

branczdad

Reaction score
Has anyone thought to try a V-6 out of a Dakota in their early A-body? You can get a 4 bbl manifold, a Pertronix kit woulld simplify ignition issues,it should bolt in on small block mounts. Add nitrous, and the dirt cheap cost of these engines, and you've got a helluva package. Not mentioning lighter front end weight,and probably no cutting to install. I mention this because I'm considering this for my early (64) Valiant.I have onr of these engines and a 5 speed tranny out of a 1/2 ton pick-up truck. I built one for the wife's Dak with 9.2 318 pistons aaand that sucker would scream!! Who else is open minded enough to say--"It's not a V-8,but it's still all MOPAR??" Let's hear your thoughts.8)

You would have to do some serious fabrication to get front motor mounts since the Magnum 3.9 (after 91 or 92) didn't have any mount ears. Woould have to fabricate an oil pan too since its a rear sump.

Larry

There is someone on here (Canadian I think) who put a Dak V6 into an early A wagon. Maybe he will chime in here with pics.
C

It just seems to me,that for a daily driver,if you don't have to have the hottest engine,that these are plentiful and like I said,dirt cheap.My drivetrain's still in my car,but from measuring ,the tranny should fit without cutting.Here's an all Mopar overdrive trans (the two wheel drive version) that should handle even a warmed up small-block. For help with power Hughes offers a cam and ported intake.Small block headers with one tube cut and capped,same at the ports,cut the extra one off. The motor mounts are do-able. I hope the Canadian guy does plug in on this,experienced help goes far.Also hope this gets more people thinking about this swap,especially with the costs of building most engines. Also,finding affordable overdrive for under 2 grand gets tougher by the day.I know what I'll hear, the tranny can't take it,but,hey the guy with the rubber screwdriver WILL break the anvil,if you give him enough time.

-
Back