Here's what happens when your Tesla Roadster (or any EV) reaches the end of battery life

-
Recycled EV batteries are finding new life in Battery banks around the world. They work just FINE in massive City/Town/Corporate Battery towers charged by Solar & other alternate charging methods. Biden's Infrastructure bill has massive funding for building, maintaining & recycling EV batteries to help offset replacement costs. The $32k replacement cost is a bit dated, but anybody buying a Tesla nowadays is an idiot. There are much better choices out there now. Nissan Leaf S battery pack replacement is $4k.. Buggy Whips makers said the same Chicken Little Sky is falling warning when the 1st cars came out too. EV tech is in its infancy, & costs will only go lower as the industry & infrastructure grow with it.
You can't really trust the average idiot with hydrogen, and it takes a lot of energy to make it.

Unless fusion becomes reality, the EV is a limited-application vehicle.

In Europe recently, a FULLY LOADED 18 Wheeler just completed a 500 mile delivery run on ONE CHARGE. Hardly a limited-application vehicle. Washington State is now retrofitting THREE Jumbo Super Ferries to Hybrid Electric, which also can charge their batteries while in operation & can be completely charged within 8 hours for the next days run. EACH FERRY will SAVE the State $32 million in fuel costs over the next 4 years.

Dead EV batteries turn to gold with US incentives

EV Battery Replacement Cost (2023) | ConsumerAffairs®

image_2023-09-23_155713133.png

Last edited:
Absolutely, it's fascinating to understand what happens when an EV, like the Tesla Roadster, reaches the end of its battery life. Sustainability is such a crucial aspect of the electric vehicle world, and recycling and repurposing parts, like the steering wheel, can play a significant role in reducing waste.

When these EVs reach the end of their battery life, it's not the end of the road for all their components. Many parts, including the steering wheel, can still hold value. These components can be harvested, refurbished, and resold, which not only helps extend the life of the vehicle but also reduces the environmental impact associated with manufacturing new parts.
Just collect the pieces to recycle.

You can't really trust the average idiot with hydrogen, and it takes a lot of energy to make it.

Unless fusion becomes reality, the EV is a limited-application vehicle.
You can't trust idiots with anything including fusion and gasoline. I place myself firmly in that category.

Last edited:
Absolutely, it's fascinating to understand what happens when an EV, like the Tesla Roadster, reaches the end of its battery life. Sustainability is such a crucial aspect of the electric vehicle world...

Brand new account, only post about EVs, on a forum for cantankerous old gearheads...Jennifer Granholm, is that you?

Yep, even the energy secretary couldn't make a trip in an EV. Had to block a charger with an ICE car, lol. What a joke EV's are. Nevermind where the "battery power" comes from. Just click the title and the article will show up.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone retrofitted ice engine in a Tesla to keep it going

electric cars are going to be disposable? Or a lot of expensive waste. Time will tell It seems strange to buy a very expensive car and in a few years has very little value

Ford is building 3 new plants in the southeast . One is for making electric trucks. One is for making the batteries for them. And one is for recycling the batteries. BUT, all trucks aren't selling well now because of their high prices. And high interest rates.

Just read it costs $15,000 to have a Tesla model S battery replaced at the dealership. List price I'm guessing. Life expectancy is 8 to 15 years. [Say 12 year average]. So 12 years times 12,000 miles per year = 144,000 miles. 144,000 miles divided by 25 MPG = 5760 gallons. 5760 gallons times $3.75 per gallon = $21,600. Plus plugs, set of wires, three 12 v batteries, trans oil and filter change, approx.. 30 oil and filter changes for the engine.

So, assuming both ICE and battery powered vehicles run trouble free, the money saved on gasoline vs. electricity will pay for a new battery installed by the dealership. And then you get to start all over again.

I think the battery life will dwindle in the colder areas 20 below GM started putting EVs in California for a reason I wonder how warm a EV is in a cold winter and how far you could go

So, assuming both ICE and battery powered vehicles run trouble free, the money saved on gasoline vs. electricity will pay for a new battery installed by the dealership. And then you get to start all over again.

And it still takes hours to "fill up" an EV versus minutes for an ICE.

I think the battery life will dwindle in the colder areas 20 below GM started putting EVs in California for a reason I wonder how warm a EV is in a cold winter and how far you could go
Plus hotter and more humid areas like the south. Heat and humidity have similar effects on batteries as cold.

And it still takes hours to "fill up" an EV versus minutes for an ICE.
In some cases that may be true. Here is another way to look at it. If you don't drive beyond the range of your EV It can be charged at home while you sleep.
In this scenario you don't waste time stopping at a gas station and pumping gas into your vehicle.
So for some people they might spend less time refueling leaving them more time to post the pros and cons of electric vehicles on FABO or whatever subject they choose.
This is not an endorsement for electric vehicles. The thought's and opinions expresses here are are those solely of the author and do not reflect the opinion of FABO. Opinions may be subjected to taxes in some states and counties. Void where prohibited.

Just read it costs $15,000 to have a Tesla model S battery replaced at the dealership. List price I'm guessing. Life expectancy is 8 to 15 years. [Say 12 year average]. So 12 years times 12,000 miles per year = 144,000 miles. 144,000 miles divided by 25 MPG = 5760 gallons. 5760 gallons times $3.75 per gallon = $21,600. Plus plugs, set of wires, three 12 v batteries, trans oil and filter change, approx.. 30 oil and filter changes for the engine.

You forgot to include the purchase price of the vehicle.

And you assume you will be able to get a new battery for your model of EV after 12 years.

And you assume you will be able to get a new battery for your model of EV after 12 years.
And the fuel price in the mix includes road use taxes where yearly registration fees for EV's is not included. :BangHead: :lol:

And the fuel price in the mix includes road use taxes where yearly registration fees for EV's is not included. :BangHead: :lol:
He is also assuming we would be using the same battery technology as in building, rebuilding or repairing in 12 years that we are today and that it will cost the same.

I know what you meant to say, and I agree. We pay a road use tax every time we buy a gallon of gas. The states should have an equal taxing system for electric cars. In CT, we have to get an emissions test every two years, where they record the cars mileage. So, charge EV owner's for the miles they drive on our roads.

CT charges a town tax on registered vehicles, based on the current blue book value. Registration is charged at a flat rate for cars. Trucks are charged at a gross vehicle weight.

Tesla recently lowered the price of some models. Seems like all cars and trucks are stupid expensive. Dealers are charging thousands of dollars over list price. And some tojota dealers are charging 60,000$ for a RAG 4 small station wagon that lists for $44,000. They call it a 'market adjustment'. Feel better?

Tesla recently lowered the price of some models.

Never looked at prices on a Tesla, always heard $100K+. Looks like the Model 3 RWD basic model is less than $40K and currently has a $7,500 tax credit. I did have to laugh at the "30-Day Premium Connectivity Trial" and the $6K for enhanced auto pilot or $12K for self driving. Ouch. But I wouldn't count that as part of the price.

And be careful of the tax credit, that will probably go away at some point.

The performance version is more like $50K, and the Model S is $80K+.

With an estimated 272 range, it could almost work. Assuming that number is accurate.

Seems like all cars and trucks are stupid expensive. Dealers are charging thousands of dollars over list price. And some tojota dealers are charging 60,000$ for a RAG 4 small station wagon that lists for $44,000. They call it a 'market adjustment'.

No argument there, car prices are getting out of hand.

I do find it interesting that at the same time ICE cars are getting more expensive, Tesla models are getting less expensive. But that's a conversation for a different board.

Either way, no idea what I would do if I needed to buy another car.

Feel better?

Didn't feel bad before. Just pointing out the flaw in the missing initial purchase price of the vehicle.

Your example of a Model S is roughly $80K to buy, compared to a Challenger R/T at say $42K. With those numbers, your savings of $6,600 for replacing a battery instead of buying fuel has become a loss of $31,400. So purchase price can have a significant impact.

Certainly the Model 3 option changes the math, but you referenced a Model S. And a Model 3 Performance makes the math a wash.

Don't forget to add in the cost of the "subscriptions" what ever model Tesla you buy carries with it.

And you still ignored the potential that in 12 years when your battery won't hold a charge, there may not be a battery to replace it with. That's what started this whole thread, people with Tesla Roadsters not being able to buy a new battery. But I am sure there will be knock off batteries available, much like the glut of less than adequate laptop batteries that are no better if not worse than the worn out ones they replace. That sounds like a fun fix.

If I was going to compare total costs between a Tesla and an ICE vehicle because I was looking at purchasing one, here's what I would use.

Model 3 RWD - $38,020
New battery after 12 years - $12,000 (assuming it is cheaper than a Model S)
Total cost - $50,020

Kia GT2 - $27,515
12 years of fuel - $24,000 (144,000 miles @ 30 mpg @ $5 gallon)
Total - $51,515

I would likely get better than the 30mpg mixed average as I spend much more time on the highway. So that number would come down.

And that is picking a "performance" model for the Kia. I am seeing cars around $21K that get closer to 40 mpg, depending on what someone wanted to drive. I see no reason the cost of a Tesla couldn't be beat by a pretty significant amount.

Here is a comparison I like even better:

Used 5.7 motor $2,000
8HP70 $1,000
Swap parts $1,800
PCM/Harness $2000
Suspension $3,400
AC $3,000
Wheels/tires $1,000

That leaves $5,800 to find a reasonable shell to put it all in and stay under $20K.

That would result in a fun car to drive and would return 25 mpg average, or better.

74 Duster/5.7/8HP70 - $20,000
12 years of fuel - $28,800 (144,000 miles @ 25 mpg @ $5 gallon)
Total - $48,800

Note that I am using $5 a gallon for fuel costs as that seems more realistic for my area in the future. Current prices are around $4.60. The $5 fuel cost compared to the $3.75 price above is a difference of $7,200.

And if I am ok with a more stock suspension and didn't care about AC, I bet I could knock the vehicle "purchase price" down to $14K or so.

I'm not pushing for EV's just trying to counter some of the statements being made by the EV haters. It's good to read that some people are giving it some thought. They are not the answer for everybody. I'll let the next generations figure out what to do about cooling the Earth. I'm hearing about people down south paying an extra $300 per month for their air conditioning. Ouch!

Ford is building 3 new plants in the southeast . One is for making electric trucks. One is for making the batteries for them. And one is for recycling the batteries. BUT, all trucks aren't selling well now because of their high prices. And high interest rates.

You left out the price to charge the piece of **** EVs...a factor that matters a LOT. You should be aware that any industry that learns that it has a monopoly will NOT do so at a discounted rate. Utility rates will certainly rise and that affects everything else that you use....Fridge, air compressor, oven, washer/dryer, lights and A/C.

FACT. The car may be essentially disposable.

I'm not pushing for EV's just trying to counter some of the statements being made by the EV haters. It's good to read that some people are giving it some thought. They are not the answer for everybody. I'll let the next generations figure out what to do about cooling the Earth. I'm hearing about people down south paying an extra $300 per month for their air conditioning. Ouch!
Cooling the earth? Are you really so indoctrinated that you actually buy into the lies that WE can control the climate?
If so, people of your kind are too thick headed to understand actual, legitimate science. It has been proven that the planet has been far warmer than it is today LONG before your Prius was ever built.

-
Back