Hernia surgery - takin' a break ....

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
Had it Thursday (not laparoscopic) - just walked out to the garage (nice and slow) to let the Darts know I'll be back soon. Anybody else had this done (inguinal) how long before I can torque my nuts :) ?

I wouldn't "torque your nuts" for 6-8 weeks, or any lifting/straining over 10 lbs or so as the doc has already told you. The cars aren't going anywhere - take it easy and heal up right ! Depends on age and physical condition as well - had one at 25 and the other side done at 50 ! Believe it or not, the one at 50 went better due to better/advanced procedures I guess.

Had 3...yep that's right...3 of them! First at 30, second at 50 and the 3rd at 55! The first two were done the ole fashion way of cut and sew and the 3rd was done the new and so called improved Laproscopic. For me, the last one was the worst of all! Now I have a lump of scar tissue about the size of a quarter in the area where they went in with the tools of the trade. It seems to be right below where my belt is and if I bend just right, I get reminded that it's there. The first two that were old school, haven't given me one bit of ache ever! If I ever have another one and Lord knows I don't want to go through that again, I will opt for the tried and true way of the old school of being cut and sewn. I know other guys that have had it done the new way and they seem to be fine with it but they too have the lump of scar tissue that you can feel with your hand.

As far as getting around goes, yeah leave your "nuts" alone both torqueing and otherwise...eh em, for 6 or more weeks. The mesh they put inside you when they fix you up has to grow to your insides and my doctor told me that it takes almost a year before it is completely bonded solid to your gut! So yeah you will feel better and feel like you can go back to your old routine of bench pressing the wife or girlfriend whenever you get the urge, but it may come back to haunt you on the other side if you get to aggressive to soon. Not to bum you out or anything, but when I had my first one at 30, my doctor told me that he has found that in most cases, guys who get one on one side, usually end up getting one on the other side at some point in time down the road! I hope for you, that you sneak by without that happening to you. So take it easy and remember to ask for help lifting in the future with the heavy stuff!!

Good luck with the recovery!!

Ouch!! All I know is it is VERY important to get healed up or it could go bad and be worse the second time around

Left ingroinal 1982 I think. 6 weeks.
Those were the strangest 6 weeks of my life. The story would make a good movie script. LOL

GET WELL SOON :)

My first one was also in 1982. Matter of fact, I was operated on April Fools Day! No joke!

Betcha if I said hymroid surgery was the worst 4 weeks of my life I'd get several "amens" to that too. ROFL

-
Back