Hey all! This is my latest automotive adventure!

-

Noizemaker

Reaction score
Hi all!

Yesterday I stepped off into what for me was the great unknown. The land of torsion bars, leaf springs, and carburetors. I was googling for something akin to "how to add seatbelts so I don't DIE IN A HORRIBLE MESS!" when I found a link to here. Figured i'd better register, introduce myself, and start doing a whole hell of a lot of reading.

So yeah, a little about me. I'm a car guy by both profession and hobby. I got lucky though and found a way to be a car guy that didn't involve busting knuckles on cars Monday through Friday, which left my weekends open to bust them on my own projects. I work for a video game studio as a subject matter expert, essentially being paid to be a car guy.

My garage has been through a lot of cars the last few years, but the one standout is my other Mopar. I've got a constant project 1999 Neon ACR that has a Mexican Stratus 2.4 liter, SRT4 trans, Turbonetics turbo, and about three bolts on the car i've never turned on my own. Hasn't run in 6 years, but I love tinkering on it. I had a Miata for about 10 years, along with a WRX, and S2000, and then finally a Lotus Elise. My friends always made fun of me for finding increasingly useless cars, that just kept getting smaller and smaller.

Last week I sold the Elise... and for the life of me, couldn't figure out what I wanted to replace it with. Working where I do, I've gotten really jaded about cars, and NOTHING was revving my motor. I drove a few cars.... new GTO, some BMWs, little of this, etc... and nothing was doing it for me. I was getting concerned. As a car guy, I SHOULD WANT AWESOME CARS! Just wasn't clicking.

...except for this one car on Craigslist. A little ol' Valiant. Flat blue. just begging for a new home. For weeks I stared at it. "Should I call? Should I not? I'll email." Never got a reply to my email... finally I called. I went, I looked, I bought.

So yeah. Mr-Sports-Car has his first cruiser.

In the space of a week, I went from this:
IMG_2189.JPG

to this:

IMAG0621.jpg

Apparently i'm a man of extremes. Go figure. I gave the man a fat wad of cash, and down the freeway I went, no seatbelts, old gas and all!

So yeah, the new toy is in actuality my new Daily Driver. Wish me luck. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of me around here as I figure out which end is up and learn the dark arts of carburetion!

At some point I'll finish the Neon, and once it's done maybe then I'll start playing with the Valiant. For now though, it's got 2 projects on deck.

1: Seatbelts. I have a set of street rod lap belts waiting to go in. I just need to figure out where they bolt down under my carpet.
2: Stereo. My god do I need tunes! Don't worry, i'm not cutting up the dash or putting some god awful flashy radio under the dash. I'm going stealth style. Amplifier to an MP3 player. No radio at all!

If you're interested in seeing more of the car, I've got pics up at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/m.laverty/WentOutForMoreMilk#
...and if you go up a level you can see all my other projects (Neon, Miata, S2k, Lotus, etc...).

Anyhow, I've prattled on too long. Time to do some research. See y'all around!

-Matt

Welcome aboard. Looks like a great project. Should post some mo pics.

I'm down in Pierce county, feel free to gimme a holler if u need some help some time.

Take it easy,

Bad Shrimp

Thanks for the welcome. I may end up lookin' you up at some point! I actually bought the car down in your neck of the woods. Bought it from a guy in Sumner. Since I forgot to mention it above, I guess I should call out some specs, huh?

It's a 273 car with a pushbutton, previous owner dumped the torsion bars a couple inches. Beyond that, I know nothing about this car except that i'm 3300 bucks poorer now, but way richer in smiles and stupid grins. :)

I can totally provide more pictures! Hang on. Link overload!

My camera got jacked in China, so you gotta live with cellphone photos!
IMAG0621.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

These plates are WA collector plates. What that means is I NEVER have to buy tabs once I register it once. No emissions, no yearly renewal. So win! (Edited! Sorry for the language, folks!)
IMAG0625.jpg

IMAG0629.jpg

This is it for the rust...
IMAG0635.jpg

IMAG0636.jpg

IMAG0637.jpg

Yep, it's a pushbutton car!
IMAG0643.jpg

...and my first car with a backseat in over 5 years!
IMAG0644.jpg

Better 1? Better 2? Personally I like the flat more than the metallic.
IMAG0655.jpg

Fuzzy dice? PURCHASED!
IMAG0656.jpg

nice 273 V8 signet two hundred
I would be more concerned about the brakes than the seat belts though, an ounce of prevention and all that

Welcome aboard Matt,

That's a nice looking Valiant. I recommend you get on top of those rust spots with some Mar-Hyde One-Step or Por15 before they become something more than just an eye sore. Beyond that, wow, what a beauty!

Oh no doubt, some POR 15 is definately in the plans! I figured I'd get at it from the backside of the quarter, and hope I can slow it down enough without ruining the beautiful patina the car has by painting over only one side of it for now.

It's such a change for me, i'm lovin' it. Now it's time to go scare the people I work with who didn't see it on my facebook this weekend when I bought it. Hehe. This'll be fun.

I would be more concerned about the brakes than the seat belts though, an ounce of prevention and all that

I'm with caferacerx.

I would go through the brakes from one end to the other (if keeping the drums), or look at Scarebird Mechanical for low cost disc brake upgrade options using common, easy to find parts.

Oh man...Have I got some Bellevue Washington stories...\\:D/

Love this car,and the originality of it. She's a gem.

Welcome to the site.

Luv the Valaint...it's beautiful & Welcome! You will find that the guys & gals on FABO know there stuff & are always willing to give great advice!

Gonna be a nice change of pace. I've owned a corvette and an NSX. It's great to go fast and turn on a dime, but it is kind of a new thrill to make a lot of noise, have a vague idea where you are in the lane and lock-up 4 drums hoping to avoid that chick on a cell-phone who cut you off! You are gonna LOVE it!

Maybe now we can get some good, acurate musclecars in video games?

Hey Matt, You sure have nice daily driver but I'm a little partial. My car is a 65. You have selected the right forum because these people are good to go and don't mind sharing the info. If you have questions, just ask. Welcome to the forum. Jerry

Elise to Valliant has to be a first at FABO. Your in with the right bunch now.

-
Back