Hey, Build My Small Block Too!

-

Forrest

Reaction score
I just took possesion of a 360 out of a '77 Cordoba along with its 727 trans. This is a smog motor so alot of the stock parts are coming off. This motor will be replacing the stock 273 in my '69 Dart. I am looking for an obnoxious, loud, big cam sound, while still leaving it street friendly. I could care less about horsepower and torque numbers, 1/4 mile numbers, ET's, and all of that stuff. But I do want a lopey, shaking, rumbling, average compression motor with a loud exhaust and the ability to do a burnout. In other words, I won't be driving this car cross country, or cross county for that matter, but I will be going cruising in "Old Town" and hittin' a few local car shows. I'm willing to have the tranny worked on and I am getting a good rear end and front disc set up also. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I apologize for vague information concerning the build but I can tell you that I did hear and see this 360 start, run, rev, and idle, and the tranny shift through all gears. No smokingm leaking, or any majors issues with the motor and tranny noted.
Thanks,
Forrest

Sounds like you should look at comp cams thumper series..

Thphhh on that expensive cam.

OK, if the engine came out of a doba, it's more likely a 904 tranny. Enuff there.

Problem statements;

street friendly
average compression motor

And are we rebuilding the engine? IF so, I'd recomend a set of Federal Mougal 9.5-1 HP116 slugs for a pump gas freindly ratio.

You want a cam that'll idle like a wild pack of angry wolverines throwing beer cans at each other????????????

Go here; http://www.chicagoconnection.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_18_78

Order this cam; http://www.chicagoconnection.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18_78&products_id=287

P4529960;
Hydraulic Camshaft for "A" Engine - Advertised duration:288/288, 0-Lap:76, Center Line: 106, Lift: .508/.508,

HP dual plane intake (Or TorkerII on the cheap) and pocket port the heads if cash is OK'd for this.

For exhaust,, 1-3/4 tube headers into a min. of 2-1/2 exhaust pipe. Loud mufflers would be Flowmaster 40 or was it 44. Hummm, Hold that thought. One of them is a stupid loud, 2 chambered muffler.

Run the exhaust pipe to the muffler and then a 90* mandrel bent pipe out to the side opf the car before the rear tires.

I'd equip the rear with 3.90's at a min. with a 26 inch tire. (235/60/15)

Been there done that, LOL, people wouldn't race me on sound alone.

Rumblefish360 does it again! Ya, lets forget the street friendly part. Yes, I will be rebuilding this engine. I was looking at rebuilding the top end alone but a set of pistons would be just fine for the bottom end to help compression. The tranny is a confirmed 727, its still attached to the motor. The rear end will be an 8-3/4 from a 73 Duster, SBC, with 10" drum brakes. I am going to follow Rumblefish360's suggestions to the letter and unleash the beast into the otherwise, quiet, little, Ford and Chevy infested neighborhood I live in.
Thanks again, Forrest

Enjoy. That cam has a radical idle and is a bit tuff to tune, low vacuum signal and such. The centerline was a 106. You'll know the difference vs. a 110 as soon as it starts up.

-
Back