Hey, you welding gurus, is this a good helmet?

-
The ESAB hood came with 6 shields, 3 yellow and 3 clear. I feel like anything else, you don’t want to wait until you have used up your very last one before you procure more. I have to order new tear offs for my 3m full face respirator, never saw that as a hassle either, but, different strokes...

I'm getting schooled on helmets! Which is great, thanks for all the info everyone. It seems nobody has heard of the brand I posted, which is not a good sign. I'll stick with a Eastwood, Lincoln or Miller, maybe get another old-school style to use as a backup in a pinch.

I have used expensive hoods and cheap hoods.
Point to take is the lens does protect you (some) if it doesent darken. Not saying its safe.
When shopping for a helmet, check the speed/reaction time to darken. Even the cheap ones are just as fast.
My preferred welding helmet is a 40 dollar electronic fixed shade helmet. The headgear is decent, and the lens is easy to see through when not welding.
My issue is headaches when welding lots,likely from weight of helmet and my neck injury.
I cant use old school helmet as the habit to flip hood down is brutal.

Headgear is just as important as the lens IMHO.

I had a good large view standard helmet and went in to the welding supply shop and was able to buy an auto-darkening lens assembly that mounted perfectly in place of the standard one. Works great and the total package was a much cheaper than a dedicated helmet. Having said that, buy the best helmet you can afford and stretch your budget a little more than is comfortable. You'll be a better welder for it and your eyes will thank you. Don't forget the sacrificial lens covers for overhead work, and the leather gauntlet that attaches to the chin of the mask to protect your neck when welding on your back.

I looked up the specs on the helmet I had in the original post, and maybe it would work. The local Fleet-Farm has these, the same place I'm probably going to get the Hobart from. They don't usually sell Harbor Freight junk level stuff.

The K-T Advantage

• 1/30,000 Second Response

• Variable Shade 9-13

• Replaceable Lenses

• Welding or Grinding Mode

• U/V Protection at all times

• New Larger Viewing Area

• Magnifying Lens Included!

item detail

I had a good large view standard helmet and went in to the welding supply shop and was able to buy an auto-darkening lens assembly that mounted perfectly in place of the standard one. Works great and the total package was a much cheaper than a dedicated helmet. Having said that, buy the best helmet you can afford and stretch your budget a little more than is comfortable. You'll be a better welder for it and your eyes will thank you. Don't forget the sacrificial lens covers for overhead work, and the leather gauntlet that attaches to the chin of the mask to protect your neck when welding on your back.
Nope, not going there! Welding on my back I mean. At that point I call in the heavy guys. My Neighbor welded food grade stainless tanks for a lot of years, and my oldest brother was a Navy SeeBee for a lot of years.. if he can weld up a ship underwater, he can handle stitching up something for me on his back. It'll cost me a few beers and a grilled steak, but that would be worth it to me :)

Nope, not going there! Welding on my back I mean. At that point I call in the heavy guys. My Neighbor welded food grade stainless tanks for a lot of years, and my oldest brother was a Navy SeeBee for a lot of years.. if he can weld up a ship underwater, he can handle stitching up something for me on his back. It'll cost me a few beers and a grilled steak, but that would be worth it to me :)

Good call.

I have bought a cheap auto-darkening welding helmet. It works well so far.
Here is its specification:
UV/IR protection: Up to shade DIN16
Light state shade: DIN4
Dark state shade: DIN9-13 free adjustable
View size: 96*48mm
Battery: Lithium battery +Solar cells(No Battery change required)
Switching time: <1/30,000S
Ultraviolet trasmittance: 313nm<0.00006%, 365nm<0.00006%
ps%253A%252F%252Fi.pinimg.com%252F564x%252Fce%252F9b%252Fe5%252Fce9be5c5db3e654482ba8d3312b83e8c.jpg

I don't like auto darkening helmets and never have.
Anyone remember the days when they didn't exist?
When I first started welding in 1976, there wasn't such a thing, so you learned how to set the helmet so a slight nod would lower it.
I still use this method to this day.
Actually, I have tried several brands of helmets over the years and I found that the auto darkening ones gave me eyestrain no matter what I did or how I set it.
I would always end up with headaches when I used one for any length of time.
My go to has always been the ''Tigerhood model 990'' one made by Fibremetal Canada.
It uses the 4 1/2'' X 5 1/4'' lenses and cover plates.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004F7QA26/?tag=joeychgo-20

-
Back