Hi from Houston

-

75Dusterman

The Pirate
Reaction score
Howdy! I have been lurking for a while its a great site. Gotta a 75 Gold Duster. Came 318-2 w 904 tranz, a/c, ps, pb, spanish gold with tan snake skin roof (smog sled). She was a one owner a bit rough on grocery cart dings. 15 years later still my daily grocery getter. Now 360-4 punched 60 over, M1 dual plane intake, RV Cam, headers, 3000 stall, upgraded coil, orange box still limited slip 293 gear new paint HOK Orion Silver, Lesonal clear & blacked out chrome.

She needs a few things still. Interior work, a rear gear, bigger bump stick & A/C shew its hot.

Here are some pics.

Duster front left.jpg

Duster pic #1.jpg

Duster pic back.jpg

Duster pic front.jpg

Duster pic lower.JPG

Welcome aboard! You'll have a blast around here.

On your trim black-out, was the stuff painted or powder coated? There's been a few people ask me lately if I have pics of powder coated bumpers and I don't. Please share a close up or two if yours are.

Make yourself at home, keep us posted on your progress and don't be shy with the pics!

Welcome - Always liked blacked out chrome and black wheels. All business. Good look!

Welcome. I live about 90 miles east of Houston. A fellow Texican.

Great to see so many Texans here! And a nod to other states and countries. Thanks for the warm welcome. Cudachick its not powder coat. Most of the black out chrome is a UV resistant one shot satin finish sort of trim paint. I had the chrome stripped at a chroming shop. To be honest I think the paint is a bit weak. I am unsure if it needed a etching primer or if its the left over chrome that is preventing the paint from bonding all the way. It may be that there is not a clear over it so its a bit soft. It has not been a huge problem at all I have just had to touch up a few areas that delimitated. On the plastic grill it worked great! And the finish is super smooth. I'll get some close ups.

One the window trim I went with a base/clear system with some eggshell or flattening agent added. I also used a etching primer. I look the shine off the chrome with ajax then 220 wet sand paper shot the primer and then cleaned it up with 400 wet. Put House of Color black on then the semi-flattened clear. After did 1500 wet then rubbed and polished I was very happy with the look. Looks like black chrome.. However it is a pit brittle now if it gets a rock ding it will take out a chunk.

What a paint in the ***!!

I painted the bering cups on the front Craigers with a good rattel can satin black it has some etching properties. Used the same method to put tooth on the chrome as I did on the window trim. I did not want to have to much mill. built up on those parts. It has held up very well.

Well thats my once upon a time story. She is my day driver but does not see too much use as I drive a company truck (a bowtie) most of the time.

Thanks for the kind words I will be sure to let her know when we go get grocies this after noon that she was a hit. MOPAR to YA!!

James

I was watching Gearz last Saturday morning and Stacey was showing a Duplicolor paint that is used to make a "black chrome" look. I had never seen that before...looks interesting.

Arrg! Thanks guys. I got a flip top gas cap and adapter for christmas. As soon as painting weather comes back I am going to black it out and finish the other stuff I need to paint. Humm that gas cap would be a good thing to powder coat. Right CudaChick?

Arrg! Thanks guys. I got a flip top gas cap and adapter for christmas. As soon as painting weather comes back I am going to black it out and finish the other stuff I need to paint. Humm that gas cap would be a good thing to powder coat. Right CudaChick?

Maybe ... it may or may not be chromed-over pot metal (I'm not familiar with the repops). Please take a look at that post link before you decide to get it done; pot metal has its own intricacies when it comes to powder coating it and I want you to be well informed of what could happen.

Welcome from Conroe thats a nice looking Duster you got there, let me get mine up to snuff and all of us Texans are gonna have to get together

-
Back