Hi pressure spring for oil pump

-

dart6

Reaction score
Hi
I'm finding trouble trying to source a spring to increase the pressure of my mellings standard pump.Melling say they don't do one but i've read a few posts that people say they've changed the spring in their pumps to increase the pressure. or are they using a different pump
I have a HV pump but I don't want to use this in my standard pan 408

thx

You should be able to order one thru a Direct Connection dealer or maybe Mancini's.

Dodge dealer or I got one from summit I believe..... I know mancinis has them I was just in there last week

You can also try Precision Oil Pumps they might be able to help you. PH#559-325-3553

Hi
I'm finding trouble trying to source a spring to increase the pressure of my mellings standard pump.Melling say they don't do one but i've read a few posts that people say they've changed the spring in their pumps to increase the pressure. or are they using a different pump
I have a HV pump but I don't want to use this in my standard pan 408

thx

Whoever you talked to at Melling is crazy as hell. Melling part numbers are real easy. The part number for the Melling stock oil pump is M-72. All you have to do for a rebuild kit is change the M to a K. the K-72 kit will have new rotors, gasket, and a stock and high pressure spring. It's the only way to get the high pressure spring from Melling. They don't sell it seperately. Bunch of dumbasses don't even know their own products.

Here it is from autozone for 17.99. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa..._/N-8zq9c?counter=0&itemIdentifier=18991_0_0_

I would leave it alone unless you've mod'd the oil system.

When I used one on my slant, it was cause I cross drilled the crank shaft and had loose clearance...which then can really help, btw .

See the the oil pump drives/shafts these days are weak [not hard enough] and with real rpm or add'd resistance will cause eventual failure and zero psi...

What oil clearance on the rods/mains?
if you are at the .002+, then ok....but have the drive rockwell tested.

I wouldnt be so concerned with the stress of the higher pressure relief. It won't add too much more load. Much, much less than the high volume pump. The drive should be replaced as part of a rebuild anyway, so I just use the MP one with the hardened shaft and pinned gear. But honestly there's very little difference in stress between 50 and 65psi.

I do have the hardened pinned shaft. In an email from hughes they advise against high pressure[leaks and heat buildup potential] also hp oil pumps are not helpfull in todays engines,10psi per 1000rpm still is a good standard.In fact there is a rising pattern of thought of 8psi per 1000rpm quote.They also say a hv pump is not considered high pressre

I do have the hardened pinned shaft. In an email from hughes they advise against high pressure[leaks and heat buildup potential] also hp oil pumps are not helpfull in todays engines,10psi per 1000rpm still is a good standard.In fact there is a rising pattern of thought of 8psi per 1000rpm quote.They also say a hv pump is not considered high pressre

that cause when you are shoving more volume through the same lil hole you attempting to compress oil, and doing that puts heat into the oil.

-
Back