Hi temp epoxy choice?

-

SSG_Karg

Enhanced member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
What is the best choice for epoxy for modifying cylinder head port shape? I’ve seen many photos of ports that have been modified with an epoxy of some kind and was wondering if there is something out there specifically designed for that application or if guys just experiment with different stuff to see what works. I imagine it would have to have good chemical resistance and be able to withstand at least 300*F temperatures. I would think a flowing epoxy would be better than knife grade also.
What do you guys use?

IMG_5742.jpeg

Spashzone a marine epoxy was recommended to us by Darren Morgan. With that said any epoxy eventually gets eaten, loosened up by gas and alcohol. If you google spashzone other names for it will come up. I did a lot of testing with shapes years ago and now that I know what shap I want never use epoxy except a skim coat of JBWELD on the tubes I install after a customer had one that was sucking some oil. Goodson sells a small container of what I think is splash zone. What’s really nice with it is you can dip your finger in water and really shape the epoxy. If you do use epoxy rough the metal up and clean it with thinner. If it’s major work seal it with two coats of this every time the heads are off.

IMG_8698.jpeg

Absolutely. I second that. I've repaired machinery parts with that, gearboxes in particular. Pile it into rough shape, allowed to cure. Then I've machined it and tapped it for cover screws.

moroso A-B epoxy was made for that, a friend head porter has used it for yrs., I have used it a couple of times also with no failures ....

moroso A-B epoxy was made for that, a friend head porter has used it for yrs., I have used it a couple of times also with no failures ....

This stuff is so hard to work with compared to splash zone. I threw mine out but like I said I rarely use epoxy

This stuff is so hard to work with compared to splash zone. I threw mine out but like I said I rarely use epoxy
i havent had that much trouble using it , I did make the surface rough before applying , even stake punched the surfaces....
Not that I do that kind of stuff anymore ...

-
Back