HID headlight conversion pics...

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I posted some of these pics over on Bigblockdart.com, but figured I'd share some info with anybody interested.

I'm currently restoring the grill on my 68 Charger. While I'm at it, I've also upgraded to real HID lights in place of the old sealed beams. Most of the forums I visit people generally think this is an expensive or complex conversion. It's not. It can actually be swapped in about 15 minutes and cost as little as about $150 for the new bulb housings, ballasts, HID bulbs and adapters. Just search Ebay for the parts. This is what's needed:

H4 (or other style bulb) housings to replace the sealed beam bulbs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H602...005QQitemZ150200076387QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

HID bulb conversion kit (includes ballasts, adapters, and bulbs)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006...009QQitemZ190185965010QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
You choose the HID bulb style to fit the new conversion housings (H4 HID's if you buy H4 housings)

These are not my listings, and I'm not selling them - I just figured I'd let you guys know what I've learned from my research and experience with HID conversions (I've done several conversions in different other cars).

Although I am adding relays and some new wiring to my Charger, these HID's actually draw less than the halogens, so they will work if you plug them directly into the existing harness with an adapter. Although I would recommend upgrading some of the wires for the best results.

My Charger has the 4 headlight system ao I had to buy 2 sets of housings. I also bought 2 sets of HID's. I'm wiring them with a very slight modification so that when the highs are on, all 4 heads will be on. Although they are not technically a "high beam" design, 4 HID's will FAR out shine any stock hibeam.

I'm going to do the same conversion on my Duster before Spring, but if you do this on the 2 headlight system, you have to decide if you want to lose the highbeam all together or you can actually find "bixenon" or "hi/low" HID's so that you can retain the higbeam option. Although, the HID's by themselves will probably illuminate far better than the stock highs, so you'll probably not even need to use the highs anymore.

You can choose a variety of color temps, so they don't have to have the "ricey" blue look. You can get bright white (around 5000k color temp).

I'm going to paint the grill and I have new stainless trim, so it'll look a lot better than this when done. This at least gives you an idea of how it looks.
Charger001.jpg

Charger002.jpg

Charger003.jpg

Charger004.jpg

When I bought the 1st set of those lights I wasn't sure I wanted them on my car. I left them boxed a long time. When I built my 67/68 hybrid grilles I decided to cut those lights into small pieces and dress up the park lamps.
parklampb4andafter.jpg

Then I needed a second set for matching headlights. :)

When I bought the 1st set of those lights I wasn't sure I wanted them on my car. I left them boxed a long time. When I built my 67/68 hybrid grilles I decided to cut those lights into small pieces and dress up the park lamps.
parklampb4andafter.jpg

Then I needed a second set for matching headlights. :)
Wow, that looks great. Nice and clean look. Although not only did I change the lamp lenses, I used real HID bulbs - the ones that are found in late model high-end cars.

-
Back