HID Lights?

-

ckj688

Reaction score
Anyone have any pics of their A-Body with HID lights? Curious how they look, and also list what kit you bought!

I'm thinking of doing an HID conversion, the stock lights just aren't bright enough...

Thanks!
Craig

that is a sweet looking dart you have there.. is that flat black paint? and what size wheels and tires are you running.. im building a scamp and i think those look great..

I have replaced the headlights with new glass ones and installed blue halogens in them.....100% better lighting and they look cool at night.

Mop

4682273466_e8efa40e53_b.jpg

I got the 50 dollar ebay ones. Best 50 dollars Spent 6k ones

Someone here will chime in and tell you your car will burn to the ground, but I have a set that was in a Posche for a few years before going in my car and they work great and the wiring stays cool.
I forget what brand but they sure do light up the night....just no more high beams, it's all or nothing.

Anyone know anything on ebay that would serve as a good 7" housing for them?QUOTE]

I always wanted to try the headlights from a Jeep Liberty or TJ Wrangler. They look to be 7" but I haven't looked closely at 'em or taken any measurements.

All I really need is something cheap but extremely bright...as it stands, it's almost dangerous to drive at night because of how dim/yellow my lights are...I always wondered how those cheap ebay kits work out, there seems to be some nice ones that come w/ ballasts and all, never knew if they were legit or not...

Ditto on this. Lots of us can say, "Do this. Don't do that." Talk to an expert who does this for a living.

His prices seem very fair and I like the way he wants to make sure everything is going to be right...I'll have to give him a try!

this is going to make me sound like a wicked noob (but I am to lighting...) whats the difference between H4 bulbs and HID bulbs, and is one better then the other? I've heard to stay away from halogen?

i use a projector headlight in my amx, ones that accepts h4 bulbs. then i bought the 38 dollar hid conversion for h4 bulbs off ebay. 6500k with the ballast boxes. been using them for months with no problem and super bright. i could get pics of them at night if u want.

only thing if you car has one head light, high beam will be hid and low beam will be a normal light. unless u buy hid high and low and thats more money.

the plugs on mine wouldnt work either, i had to make some changes to wiring to get them all to work on high and low.

amxhid.jpg

my car low beam was dim on outside lights, high beam all four lights come on bright.
outside hi and low beam built in 3 wire
the inside lights had only 2 wire (high beam only)

i wanted hid on the outside lights all the time. my hid only had 2 wires so either was on high beam, or on low beam. i couldnt jump the wire together because would back feed and keep lights on

so on low beam my stock wiring is hooked up. when i click highbeam i run a relay so the power feeding my highbeam light went to a relay a power source direct from battery.

I'm not home much but I got mine at a swap meet and love them plus the are lighter and brighter than oem lights!

I was just going to suggest projectors. Talk with THESE guys on ebay. I have just recently talked with them about retrofitting projectors into 7" clear housings. They will sell you everything you need to do the conversion. It'll cost a bit more but it looks amazing and the lighting is incredible. This is the route I'm taking with mine. Just another thought. You can also buy DOT compliant 7" projectors but they are REAL costly.

Just by adding relays to your existing stock lights will increase their brightness by almost double. Then if you want upgrade to more powerful lights. I did this and added Hella euro conversion bulbs.

True xenon's with ballasts are the way to go.

i agree with that. thats what i have in my amx. i call them hid though. (i have the same ballast boxes in my car)

cudaspaz what k are you running for your lights

True xenon's with ballasts are the way to go.

i agree with that. thats what i have in my amx. i call them hid though. (i have the same ballast boxes in my car)

cudaspaz what k are you running for your lights

You know, I really don't know.
They were in my B.I.L's Porsche for quite a few years before he took out the xenon's and headlights.
They sat on his shelf for a couple more years until I asked him what to buy and he just gave the whole deal to me since he did not need them anymore.
I can try to find out but they have some age on them, don't know if they still make them or not.

they said 4000k was best for driving and clear light, 6000-6500k have slight blue tint..

i went with 6500 for a slight blue tint and they are wicked bright at night. i drive my amx everynight so figured id try xenon lights. was worth a try.

yours look like they have a slight color to them as well

the cops dont bother me as well because there not super bright blue at night.

What is better about relays is that it removes all the amp load and heat from the headlight switch and wiring and lets the relay take the load....

but to each their own...

What is better about relays is that it removes all the amp load and heat from the headlight switch and wiring and lets the relay take the load....

but to each their own...

yeah, they are ballast, relays and plug and play kit.

All you really need it power and ground connection and the rest is plug and play.
The kits run cool to the touch as well.

-
Back