Hidden Secret Stealth IPOD MP3 Stereo

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever installed this secret stereo from Woody's Custom Shop and offer a review of it's performance? I was thinking of installing it under the seat, under the dash or in the glove box. That way my original radio remains in place. This unit doesn't have a radio, but albums recorded on an IPOD or MP3 player can be played through a long earphone jack cord, which I would hide under the seat at a car show.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hidden-Secr...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f5fde86f&vxp=mtr

JVC sells a head unit for $80 that will play songs via bluetooth, and USB. it is not deep, and could easily be installed in a tucked away location. I have one in the dash of my dart. It would easily go under a seat. I also like how that is a blatant bow rider amp for a boat, labeled as a car unit. It will work but those amps sound like garbage. I recommend any other solution. The JVC comes with blutooth and USB functionality built in. It just doesn't play CD's. I play pandora off it and leave my phone in my pocket

I have never used one but have been looking for something like this for a while. I will probably buy the two channel one here soon.

I just dropped an Alpine in the dash, Infiniti Kappa front and rear and a nice amp. My iPod plugs in the deck. It rocks very well, and I am adding another amp and sub this spring. AC/DC has never sounded so good!

I am trying to keep the original look on my 69 Dart Swinger, so I am trying to hide the tunes. The AM radio doesn't cut it does it for cruisin'.

Serj22-Which JVC head unit did you buy and are they any smaller than the car stereos that I see at Best Buy. Those seem to be too big to fit in the glove box.

PoisonDart74- Which unit did you put in your glove box and how did you make it fit? And where did you hook up the wires?

Thanks for the info guys.

I am trying to keep the original look on my 69 Dart Swinger, so I am trying to hide the tunes. The AM radio doesn't cut it for cruisin' does it.

Serj22-Which JVC head unit did you buy and are they any smaller than the car stereos that I see at Best Buy. Those seem to be too big to fit in the glove box.

PoisonDart74- Which unit did you put in your glove box and how did you make it fit? And where did you hook up the wires?

Thanks for the info guys.

JVC KDX50BT

Amazon has it now for $85.99 Best buy had it at a similar price

It does not play CD's, but has bluetooth built in to play audio off your phone or ipod wirelessly. You can also connect via USB and set weather you want to control with ipod, or the head unit. It will fit in the glove box, and it will also fit under the dash easily if you get an under-dash bracket.

My older brother had an AM radio hooked to a single speaker in the dash of his Polara, which still worked. He had a portable CD player that he had wired directly into an amp that powered a pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck. The amp was hidden under the seat and the CD player was one of those personal models, like a CD Walkman...it sounded fantastic. The headphone output was used with a mini jack cord from Radio Shack, with one end cut off and wired to the line in on the amp. I don't see why that wouldn't work for an Ipod.

I used a standard cheapie clarion unit, made a wooden plate, and wired it normally.

DSCN0965.jpg

JVC KDX50BT

Amazon has it now for $85.99 Best buy had it at a similar price

It does not play CD's, but has bluetooth built in to play audio off your phone or ipod wirelessly. You can also connect via USB and set weather you want to control with ipod, or the head unit. It will fit in the glove box, and it will also fit under the dash easily if you get an under-dash bracket.

How do you hook this head unit up? Don't you still need the rest of the radio that it snaps in to? But that wouldn't fit in the glove box. I like the idea that it could play my Ipod wirelessly. Could it be mounted in the trunk and work wirelessly? Will an MP3 player also work wirelessly?

It DOES fit in the glove box, you have to remove the liner, *I* did it. It comes close to the HVAC cable, that's it. You drop the lid open, and you connect the face. Play your stuff, Simple. Wireless stuff is expensive, although I'm sure it exists.

Has anybody had very good sound quality with the wireless blue tooth setup or is the sound quality inferior and it would be best to steer clear?

Looks Great! Just what i've been looking for, my Duster was radio delete.

My plan is a simple one: Using a long mini stereo cable and adapter, I'm just going to play my well-loaded iPod thru an amp in the trunk. Amp will either be on with the ACC or I'll hide a simple switch for the remote 'on'.

My plan is a simple one: Using a long mini stereo cable and adapter, I'm just going to play my well-loaded iPod thru an amp in the trunk. Amp will either be on with the ACC or I'll hide a simple switch for the remote 'on'.

I just want to use my IPOD for music. What kind and model amp are you using? What is a long mini stereo cable and adapter? Does the amp have a USB hookup for an IPOD? It doesn't sound you you have completed this installation, but have you ever heard how it sounds?

Franko, don't know what your budget is, but they do make modern radios with the OE look. They will fit right in the dash and look like the old radios.

Franko,

The long cord is just a stereo connection cord. You could find one like 15' long at radio shack. One end plugs into the iPod headpone jack, and the other goes to the amp via an adapter which turns the stereo mini-plug into double RCA male plugs. It won't power the iPod but the battery runs for a long time and power supplies that plug into your cig lighter are plentiful.

As for the amp...it doesn't matter. Use whatever you like that suits your power needs. I have a 15 year old JVC 4-channel sitting on a shelf not being used and two Infinity 6x9's. I think it will sound fabulous.

TNT

Edit, just found this on eBay. The cord and the adapter all in one. Perfect!

cm-727-2.jpg

It's been a long time, but I still wanted to thank everyone for the excellent ideas on stealth music for my 69 Swinger. I wanted to hide the tunes so I could leave the AM radio and speaker in the dash because it still works and because the car looks like it came off the assembly line.

My solution was to buy an Alpine Bluetooth radio (model UTE-42BT) which had very good reviews. I mounted this radio sideways up to the upper bracket on the drivers side of the trunk. You have to squat down and look for the radio to see it in the trunk. I ran the wires up to the fuse box.

I already had some Alpine speakers and used 3/4 inch spacers to mount them under the package tray so the tweeters don't stick out. It sounds fine with just the rear speakers. I could have also hooked it up to a new double front speaker, but I wanted to leave the AM radio hooked up.

I laid in the trunk to sync up the radio to my IPOD (a smart phone would also work) and set up the equalizer.

I recorded many oldie CDs on my IPOD using Itunes.

I think the sound of this wireless system is excellent. I can't tell the difference in sound quality between this Bluetooth system and my radios in other cars. I leave the IPOD in my pocket or on the seat and nobody knows this car has anything other than the AM radio. The volume is adjusted without even looking at the IPOD by pressing the up or down button on the side.

I don't have a smart phone, but if you can play any radio stations with it, this music could also be played thru this wireless system.

Thanks again to everybody that got me on track to this solution.

-
Back