hidden vin 1968 dart

-

junkyard jac

Reaction score
I am having a problem getting ownerships for my 1968 dart because the vin plate is missing. the appraiser told me if I could find the hidden numbers on the car he could help me out. can anyone tell me where to find the location of these hidden numbers

easiest would be the fender tags, but I guess those are missing too ?
sticker on the inside of the driver side door?

lower radiator support?

easiest would be the fender tags, but I guess those are missing too ?
sticker on the inside of the driver side door?

lower radiator support?

The radiator support has the sequence number. If the vin tag is missing I would pass on the car.

a little late to pass on the car. here is a picture of the interior. new 440 and all body work is done

20160710_132456.jpg

the number on the trunk rail and the radiator support matches the order number, not the sequential number in 68. Starting in 69 is when they stamped the sequential number.

In 68, you will need the build sheet or fender tag to connect the order number stamped in the body to the vin number. Without the fender tag or build sheet, the numbers stamped into the body wont do you any good because they will not match the last sequential number on the vin tag.

the number on the trunk rail and the radiator support matches the order number, not the sequential number in 68. Starting in 69 is when they stamped the sequential number.

In 68, you will need the build sheet or fender tag to connect the order number stamped in the body to the vin number. Without the fender tag or build sheet, the numbers stamped into the body wont do you any good because they will not match the last sequential number on the vin tag.
X2

Look on your build sheet and find the corresponding sequence numbers that match your radiator housing and your trunk drip rail. If those match, I would think you have no problem getting a VIN plate. Your VIN should also be on the build sheet. Good luck.

I just checked and the fender tags have the order number as well and no real mention of the vin number

the build sheet has both.....on the top line on the left side it will have a box "sequence number" and that will match the fender tag and the body numbers...then to the right of that is another box "vehicle identification number" all on the top line of the build sheet

I just checked and the fender tags have the order number as well and no real mention of the vin number

the build sheet has both.....on the top line on the left side it will have a box "sequence number" and that will match the fender tag and the body numbers...then to the right of that is another box "vehicle identification number" all on the top line of the build sheet
This is Correct... I also just looked at my Build Sheet for my 68 GTS and confirm..

With the required proof (fender tag, build sheet, body stampings), you should be able to get a replacement tag made here...

A.G.Backeast.
that is fender and trim tags only ...I am pretty sure that it is illegal to re-pop vin tags for any reason.

The o.p. will likely get a state issued vin tag with the evidence of the car's identity that he has...a state patrolman or DMV will affix it on the car for him so they can document it.

There
a little late to pass on the car. here is a picture of the interior. new 440 and all body work is done

View attachment 1714974501

Sorry, didn't catch it that you have a broadcast sheet and fender tag for the car. With that if the sequence number on the broadcast sheet matches the stamped numbers on the rad support and trunk numbers you can get a vin tag made. There's a guy that is licensed to reproduce them. I'll have to find his contact info.

There

Sorry, didn't catch it that you have a broadcast sheet and fender tag for the car. With that if the sequence number on the broadcast sheet matches the stamped numbers on the rad support and trunk numbers you can get a vin tag made. There's a guy that is licensed to reproduce them. I'll have to find his contact info.
wow that would be great. thanks dart4forte

Yes, didn't see that. He is licensed to do the Vin tags

this will be interesting because I was under the impression that reproducing vin tags of any kind is illegal.

If the O.P. gets one then I will stand corrected and I will also bring a duster 340 back from the dead. I have a 70 duster 340 that I was using as a parts car because someone pried the tag off and threw it in the car when they took the original rally dash frame. I have the title and everything else but the tag is totally bent and stretched out.

this will be interesting because I was under the impression that reproducing vin tags of any kind is illegal.

If the O.P. gets one then I will stand corrected and I will also bring a duster 340 back from the dead. I have a 70 duster 340 that I was using as a parts car because someone pried the tag off and threw it in the car when they took the original rally dash frame. I have the title and everything else but the tag is totally bent and stretched out.
I have this appraiser coming over and he will be looking at the body #s to match with the built sheet. I will let you know how this works out. might help you out also rainy.

On my son '68 GTX, the VON was also stamp on the top rear flange of the original 440 engine.

-
Back