High Beams Burnt Out

-

matthon

Reaction score
So, I'm driving home last night and I started bragging about how great the headlights are since I bought the relay kit from a FABO member, and added Sylvania 9003 H4 headlights.
Hit the highbeam switch and they immediately dimmed, clicked them off, back on and both went out. Low beams work fine.
Got home, switched the relays around, low beams work no high, pulled the bulbs, both high beams burnt out.
I've had the headlights for a few years, and the relay kit was installed about 4 months ago. One side of the kit is grounded to the battery, the other to the car, so I cleaned up that side, even though it looked fine.

It's a 67 Barracuda, so single headlights. Years ago I installed all new wiring, removed the ameter, all new switches, new dash circuit boards, etc.

FYI: the relay kit is awesome, no complaints there, easy install and it integrates right into the existing harness.

Before I throw more bulbs in there anyone have any direction on how to diagnose this issue?

Need to verify the voltage feeding the relays, from ALT. Might be too high. Check voltage at bulb connector. No more then 14V should be there. IMO. Over voltage would sure make the lights bright.

The high beam relay probably going bad, what happens is the relay bounces the contacts sending momentary on/off to the bulbs very rapidly like a spark plug, the filiments in the bulbs can't handle
that.

Make sure the switching wire or ground wire terminals on high beam haven't pushed out of the relay block. Happens on occasion.

-
Back