High compression and turbo

-
Seriously you should consider looking in to aftermarket EFI. With the technology available today you can have your cake and eat it to. Drive it on the street on 91 octane to get to the track, pour in E85 or E98 and make passes then fill it up with pump gas on the way home and never touch a thing. There are many available that are reasonably priced and well worth the time and energy it takes to learn how to wire em and tune em. I run an AEM infinity and the ecu was $1200 and the options are limitless. Knock control, boost by gear, flex fuel, multiple timing maps and multiple fuel maps that automatically blend depending on what’s in the tank, etc. IMO at your power level and desire to drive it on the street it’s worth looking in to.

Seriously you should consider looking in to aftermarket EFI. With the technology available today you can have your cake and eat it to. Drive it on the street on 91 octane to get to the track, pour in E85 or E98 and make passes then fill it up with pump gas on the way home and never touch a thing. There are many available that are reasonably priced and well worth the time and energy it takes to learn how to wire em and tune em. I run an AEM infinity and the ecu was $1200 and the options are limitless. Knock control, boost by gear, flex fuel, multiple timing maps and multiple fuel maps that automatically blend depending on what’s in the tank, etc. IMO at your power level and desire to drive it on the street it’s worth looking in to.
I agree. I have been eyeing the super Vic efi intake and make something from scratch to fit my needs. Hell there's mega/microsquirt, HolleyEFI, AEM, Haltech, Fueltech. There's tons of companies out there that I can make work. The price does skyrocket though. I like the idea of being able to control individual cylinder timing with the right setup.

image.jpg
Currently I am piggybacking megasquirt with the stock jtec on my 5.9 just so I can have the jtec run my 46re. My most recent build is for my 63 falcon and it’s a Honda j35 v6 turbo running on an infinity. After using the AEM ecu I’ll never use anything else. This thing idles like a minivan and will make somewhere around 600hp on e85 according to my tuner. Once the falcon is finished my plan is to figure out what it takes to run the 46re electronically and do it with the infinity and get rid of megasquirt and the jtec.

None of that will fix a bad build. It will adjust the tune to make your bad engine build not eat itself.

YR I agree. I am not suggesting anything to keep a “bad build” alive. Rather giving my advice to use the technology we have available to us to make a good build great. I am not inferring wether or not toluene’s build is either good or bad.

12-1 compression at 8 psi is roughly a 18.5 -1 effective compression ratio. Choose your fuel and tune wisely.. I would talk to a legit turbo cam grinder for your build.

12-1 compression at 8 psi is roughly a 18.5 -1 effective compression ratio. Choose your fuel and tune wisely.. I would talk to a legit turbo cam grinder for your build.
I'm thinking if I go turbo, I'll have to change a couple things which will bring the compression to about 11.5:1. I might just build everything to run on methanol, this isn't really a daily driver. More of a car meet and track car now. And of course I wont' use the cam I have, I'll have one spec'd out for a turbo.

Another question. If I go forward with this insanity, Which turbo? I was thinking somewhere around S480 sized. Or would there be a benefit to running two smaller turbos?

Toluene, pick up any book written by Corky Bell. “Maximum boost” is a great one and has a lot of info on sizing a turbocharger for any particular engine. It’s like a camshaft, anything will work really but there are ways to optimize them for a certain combo/goal. The math isn’t that difficult for sizing and it’s worth working it all out. Also Garrett’s website has a pretty good calculator. Two smaller turbos will almost always be more efficient than one large one for a given pressure ratio.

The higher the compression, the tighter and less forgiving the tuning window. The altitude will help that some. Good luck and keep us posted.

-
Back