High compression timing issue.

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
It's not an Abody. Buf I have my '69 d100 pick up. She has a 360 stroker (408 CI). It was a crate motor from bluprint.. Compression is 10.1:1. It was a pretty recent purchase that I made, so I dont know a ton about the truck. Recently I started hearing a knock from the drivers side of the motor. Shes been running full synthetic royal purple oil for her whole life. Motor is only a couple of years old. I am running 91 octane pump gas through her. Not sure what temp thermostat it has. She seems to hold pretty steady around 185-190 degrees though. pretty choppy, low idle. Not sure what other info would be needed in order for some help.

What should I start looking into for this engine knock? First things to check?

THANKS fabo. I know I can always count on good info at this forum. This motor is a beast!

Attachments

• IMG_20150422_200616.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_20150319_121722.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_20150226_230011.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 497
Forgot to add that the factory specs for this motor say34 degrees at 3500 RPM. Not sure exactly what that means though. I may be slightly ignorant when it comes to timing

Without some GOOD audio, it's a crapshoot.

A knock from pinging/detonation should only appear when you're hard on the gas; if it's making a regular knocking sound anytime the engine is running it's either what GEO mentioned or internal engine damage.

"full synthetic royal purple oil" Hmmm... could be a lifter, they don't like full synthetic.

As far as timing, use the search function on here and search for Total Timing on the Electrical and Ignition forum. Tons of stuff there.

[ame]https://youtu.be/Uwzn190TMak[/ame]

Any more thoughts after hearing what im talking about. The link is a youtube video that I just uploaded.

I had a 360 in a 79 5th Ave that sounded like it had lifter noise, ping or a cracked flex plate. It couldn't be ping because it occurred without load at low RPMs. After much poking around under valve covers, listening to exhaust through a hose and stethoscope I finally pulled the transmission and found half of the converter snout broken off inside the front pump. It all was still functioning well but making that darn noise.

I will hop under there and check flex plate as soon as I have time. There was 1 loose bellhousing bolt last Week that I discovered. Lowest one on passenger side before you get to the inspection cover. I also realized inspection cover was missing so ill be ordering a new one soon. Anyone recommend a good place to buy a new or used inspection cover?

It tells me "please sign in to see this video"

Hopefully it's those flex plate bolts because from what i'm hearing it sounds like a rod knock i.e. bad/spun bearing... any kind of warranty on that crate motor? If not it's gonna have to be pulled and gone through hate to say

Pull the valve cover. Take a look. It sure sounds like a rocker or lifter or broken spring.

I bet it will be found under the valve cover.

I hear two distinctly different frequency sounds. I hear lots of high frequency ticks, like multiple valve train issues plus what sounds like an occasional knock. I have heard valve train make knocks like that before, so hopefully it is something just under the valve cover like others have said.

Sounds like a bent pushrod or pushrod through a rocker like I once had before, or some associated left side valvetrain train problem. Too high a pitch for a rod bearing or piston pin. I too thought I heard something else on the lower right side, but solve the left side 1st. Good video BTW. Time to stop driving it for sure.

I listened to it twice, and I agree with what others have said. There is a deep knock that you can hear when the video starts, seems to quiet some. The higher pitched constant tap is in the valve train. Time for a rebuild. You can fix the valvetrain issue, only to have to tear the engine apart again to fix the knock.

She has a 360 stroker (408 CI). It was a crate motor from blueprint..

Not saying this is the case, but a lot of people have had serious issues with engines they bought from Blueprint.

Hope this isn't the case for you.

-
Back