High lift transmission jack

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
Looking at getting a high lift transmission jack for the shop. Obviously something that will be used underhoist so the high lift is the style to get. I see everyone from harbor freight, summit, jets, autozone sells them. Selling from $160 to $1600 depending on air, hydraulic, foot pedal, hand lever, claw style transmission holder, sliding bars and chains. What are you guys and gals using? I know it will be a tool that gets used no less than once a month, so quality is important but dont really want to spend more than a few hundred bucks on it. That said, if someone has experience with a variety of them and is in the know as to what works best and truly the better money is spent on a particular one I'll spend the cash to get it. I think I need one that has at least 70" of lift, but can always lower the two post to meet up with the lift height of the jack. Thanks.

Looking at getting a high lift transmission jack for the shop. Obviously something that will be used underhoist so the high lift is the style to get. I see everyone from harbor freight, summit, jets, autozone sells them. Selling from $160 to $1600 depending on air, hydraulic, foot pedal, hand lever, claw style transmission holder, sliding bars and chains. What are you guys and gals using? I know it will be a tool that gets used no less than once a month, so quality is important but dont really want to spend more than a few hundred bucks on it. That said, if someone has experience with a variety of them and is in the know as to what works best and truly the better money is spent on a particular one I'll spend the cash to get it. I think I need one that has at least 70" of lift, but can always lower the two post to meet up with the lift height of the jack. Thanks.

The ones with the sliding angle brackets are what I used for years, but hardly ever needed the chains.
Just adjust the sliders to where some support is needed for the angle you need.
Mine had a handle, but the foot pump is better because you can keep both hands on the trans when moving it around and adjusting where it needs to be.

A little sketchy with a trans and transfer case both on.:D
That is really the only time I used the chains.

I made an adapter for a cheap HF engine hoist. It comes apart, did not change operation of the cherry picker. It is ugly as hell, and works like a bomb. I've pulled a couple of 727 / A518 with it:

THis consists very simply of an additional arm attached to the picker underneath the main hoist arm to form a parallelogram. A vertical piece at the ends joins the two to attach the platform A piece of allthread which extends/ retracts the lower pivot for the vertical member tilts the thing.

=================================================

My "claim to fame" is I have a two post hoist, so I made one engine picker convertible to a transmission jack. It cost little, I only paid 80 bucks for the cherry picker, and it works fantastic. I've pulled several transmissions already

The tilt is a piece of allthread with a couple of "coupler nuts" welded as a T, just turn the nut on the end. I don't mind bragging, for as ugly as this is, and no more than it cost it just is "IT"

The hoist is outdoors on dirt, so to roll the picker, I have a couple of lightweight perforated channels I use for "tracks" for the picker

img_0897cs-jpg-jpg.jpg

img_0892cs-jpg-jpg.jpg

_mg_7780cs-jpg-jpg.jpg

jack-jpg-jpg.jpg

trans-jpg-jpg.jpg

That is actually very cool. I have never seen anything like that before. I very well may have to give that a go.

Got this two stage off CL for $150 and I got lucky. Its an old Snap-On which I didn't realize when I bought it. It's "high lift" at least 70". I can put my lift on the top lock when using the jack. However, when I R&R'd my gas tank, I did have to lower the lift two clicks with the jack at full height to be able to reach the bottom of the tank.

Cylinder leaks a little (sometimes) but other than that, it works awesome. Thing is beefy for sure. Has adapters that bolt to the top plate, not the ratcheting type. Fore, aft and side tilt are mechanically operated by hand cranks.

I would stay away from an air assisted jack, it's really not worth the additional cost. You can control a simple hydraulic one really well when you get used to it.

IMG_2383.JPG

I really like the look, function and price of that. And a snap-on to boot, I can only imagine what that cost new.

I bought a transmission jack at Northern Tool, after I built my garage and got a 4 post lift. It works really well, and has side to side + front to back tilt on the plate the transmission sits on. It also has a chain that goes across the transmission for a safety. I have removed/installed several 727's with it, and also 545RFE's. A 545RFE makes an 833 4 spd feel like a feather! Only complaint I have is that it jacks up slow. Good luck with your search.

I'll check out northern tool for sure. So far 67dart273 has got me thinking really hard about his set up. That is too slick, and I am thinking capacity wise, it's got to be the way to go, I'm thinking like with a transmission and transfer case combo. I was thinking an out of the box tool, but a folding harbor freight cherry picker would be the best option for that type of setup.

I'll check out northern tool for sure. So far 67dart273 has got me thinking really hard about his set up. That is too slick, and I am thinking capacity wise, it's got to be the way to go, I'm thinking like with a transmission and transfer case combo. I was thinking an out of the box tool, but a folding harbor freight cherry picker would be the best option for that type of setup.

Not to take anything away from that idea but it looks cumbersome and seems like it would be difficult to maneuver around under a lift because the footprint is so large and how the weighted boom extends so far out. I also know from experience that my engine hoist is much less precise in it's control and it looks like there's little in the way of axial adjustment.

Second, I'm all about the right tool for the job. I wouldn't want to deal with an engine hoist and that attachment contraption every time I wanted to use my transmission jack for something. The jack just rolls right where I want it unlike a hoist.

Again, nothing wrong with the idea in a pinch but if I had a choice between buying a trans jack and a home-brew device attached to an engine hoist, I'll buy the jack. Just my .02.

There's a place out in Wisconsin called PHJ, Inc. They sell reconditioned transmission jacks for decent prices, check them out here. If I hadn't found my jack on CL, I was going to buy one from them.

Jacks that have telescoping cylinders are the way to go. Single rod cylinders, (like mine), don't go as low, hard to get on and off jack.

Not to take anything away from that idea but it looks cumbersome and seems like it would be difficult to maneuver around under a lift because the footprint is so large and how the weighted boom extends so far out. .

This thing works extremely well and it's bulk is not a real problem. I'm not that spry, anymore at 71 I have arthritic like issues. You also have to consider the cost. I had the hoist, and it is made of scrap. Biggest issue for me is that I don't have a shop so I must use the tracks to allow it to roll. I also have a HF hydraulic trans jack, but cannot use it on the dirt. I do use it for other things, like putting pressure under an A-arm when doing front end work, etc.

I was looking at the goplus one. Like the price, like hearing its a good unit. I am also looking at the autozone transmission jack. Made by oemtools, with veteran discount and a 20% off coupon I have I can get it for $210 and it has a 77" max lift. Half ton rating.

-
Back