High performance 727

-

72dart

Mopa
Reaction score
Is a small block HP 727 more valuable than a standard 727 transmission. What is the value of a 727 that came from a 1970 340 car and needs to be gone thru?

In my opinion,it is considered a core,may be worth more to someone looking for period correct/yr and such...about a 1yr ago I had to move my shop and had 9 smblk and 6 bblk 727's that came out of running vehicles,sold all the smblks as cores for $75 ea and bblk I sold for $100,all went x-cept 2 bblks in which one is cable style which I still have..I would say they are worth more than that since they do not make them anymore so with that being said I would think $125-$150 as core would be fair in my area at least,maybe more or less in other areas,may be worth hanging on to for down the road you may need one and cant find one in your area and when you do it will always be 2-3 times$$ you sold yours for...but I tend to hoard stuff I cant possibly use in my lifetime....

Depends on how many parts need replaced, and I wouldn't take someones word for it being a HP either without knowing for sure.
It would be about the same as asking how much it would cost to rebuild an unknown motor.

If that trans is real important to you, it should be torn down and inspected before a price is agreed on.
If the seller says "no" then no deal.

To me, an unknown trans might be worth 100-150 but we don't know how important it is to you.
If you have a 70 340 car it could be worth a lot more to you than anyone else.

Ha, typing at the same time.

,may be worth hanging on to for down the road you may need one and cant find one in your area and when you do it will always be 2-3 times$$ you sold yours for...

That right there ^

When the 904 in my D50 died, I needed a transmission (and finding another rare 4WD D50 MA904 to rob parts from was impossible) so I set out in search of a 4WD 727, probably the most common transmission on the planet, right?

Took me 4 months of searching, and I couldn't find one. I ended up buying an AMC Jeep 727 (just for the tailshaft & tail housing/transfer case adapter). The guy I bought it from wanted $125 for it and said it was a good transmission, with a new filter kit, seals, and no miles since the filter & seals had been installed. It obviously had new seals, didn't get a look at the filter, since the pan was on, and the dipstick showed no fluid. Claimed he was going to put it in one of his Jeeps (he had one in the garage, beside the transmission), but found a great deal on a 4-Speed and decided to go with a 4-Speed in his Jeep instead. That was believable, because everyone wants a 4-Speed, especially the Off-Road crowd. So I pay him the $125 and we load the transmission in the back of my grandfather's vehicle and off I go.

I get home (after about a 100 mile drive), and pull the transmission pan to begin swapping the guts from the AMC Case over to a Mopar SB Case...

The filter looked nasty, beyond nasty, and what little transmission fluid was in it looked like tar. :prayer:

So I paid $125 for a Tailshaft & Adapter/Housing. In the end, I swapped the tailshaft & adapter over to the built 727 that was out of my '74 Duster, just to get a 4WD 727 for my truck

Thanks for the reply's. I am thinking of selling it because I need more room in my garage. I have the complete drivetrain out of a 70 340 dart and was holding on to it in case I ever needed it. I was thinking that the transmission case generally does not go bad so probably would never need one to replace mine.

-
Back