High performnace 318 street engine in 64 Dart

-

az426hemi

Reaction score
Hello all, just found this site. I have a 63 Dart post car that I want to set up for a daily driver. I have a 25 mile commute each way to work, mostly on the freeway.

I would like to be able to get around 20 mpg with 1/4 mile times in the 13's. I am thinking that a 318 would be the best choice for this project. The car currently has a 273 auto in it.

What would be the best year engine to get for the core? I have seen a bit about the 302 head on this site being the best all around general purpose head. Should I just get a core with this head? 1.60 and 1.88 valves?

I plan on using KB pistons.

I want to stay with a solid cam and run something like 3.23 gears.

What do you guys think? All input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

I would go with a 5.2 l magnum.The heads are better! You can get a four barrel intake from Mopar or Edelbrock.I'd go with the Edelbrock Mopar is always back ordered.As for cam Comp cam,Crane,And Mopar all have cams.Put the A engine timing chain cover and water pump on it.Easy way to make power. Good Luck!!

I would like to be able to get around 20 mpg with 1/4 mile times in the 13's.
While I think it's a doable thing, I think the way about may be hard to balance in reality. High 13's could be done.

IMO, what I would do is a lock up 4spd OD trans and a stock 318 w/ a small 4bbl or small T/Q. Cam choice could not be much more than a stock 360 cam or similar size from the aftermarket. The cam is where you'll lose your mileage. Run as much compresion as you can. A taller tire and headers (Not needed for 13's) can help out in the milage search.
3.23's X .69 (OD) = 2.28 <LOL> Might chug a bit.
4.10 X .69 = 2.82
3.90 X .69 = 2.69

-
Back