High Torque starter

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
My starter went out so I dug out the small high torque that was on the 360 when I bought it, hobe wan kanobe batman, that worn out 318 starts just by looking at the key. Those starters are really worth the money.
Bruce

Nice to hear.....I recently bought an new RobbMC starter to replace the old OEM unit. I cant wait to get it on this spring. My OEM starter used to kill my battery so quick on a cold day if it had trouble starting. I'm hoping this expensive little devil will help that...

Only issue is I think I'm going to have to remove my Hooker Super Comp driver side header to get the old one out..ugh.

I know what you mean, what was up with the engineers back then, ( lets put everything we need, starter,shift linkage, steering box as close to the motor as we can get it, brake cyl and booster,) on the left side of the motor and watch (or laugh at) those who try to work on them . Its like the right side was exempt or something.
Bruce

I had to replace the starter on my 73 Swinger. That was the only time I was cursing the headers. Unbolted them from the engine but it still didn't make it easy. Put in a new starter from Napa and have a 1000 cranking amp battery in there too.

Only the purist Mopar enthusiast's will not use the mini.Besides being factory correct,they like the sound of the old boat anchor.

I will run nothing but a mini starter on my cars.

Little tip guys.No need to spend the $100.00 plus they are charging for these things.
If you go to the junk yard you will be able to find them in just about anything(Chrysler wise).
Take a look underneath,if it is a mini,it will work.It would take me a day to list the cars these fit.
Last one I bought cost me $10.00.Did a little de-greasing,works like a charm.

I love the way the starter sounds in my 1990 dodge truck with a 318.
Would this same starter work and fit on my 69 Dart 340?
Would any modifications be necessary?
It would make life easier.
What do they cost rebuilt?

George

I love the way the starter sounds in my 1990 dodge truck with a 318.
Would this same starter work and fit on my 69 Dart 340?
Would any modifications be necessary?
It would make life easier.
What do they cost rebuilt?

George

Your 1990 truck has a mini starter,and will bolt right on to your 340.
Sometimes the battery cable terminal,which connect's to the starter will need to be altered.
Very easy to do.
Re-built...around $100.00
Junk yard...$10.00-$20.00

Thanks John. I may just pick one of those things up.

FWIW, the stock mini starter that is in my 90 pickup is the original. It will be 18 years old in March. The truck has 198,000 miles on it, starter was only removed when I put a clutch in the truck at 130,000.

George

It is always funny messing with the part kid on this one.

You know I need a starter for a 89 Gran Fury 360.
No make that a starter for a 90 Dakota 318.
I tell you what make it a starter for a 90 B series Dodge van 318.
Scratch that,make it for a 89 Chrysler 5th Avenue 360.
The reason being,it is going into my 69 340 Dart.:toothy10:

by the way,if you didnt know,all the cars I mentioned take the same starter.LOL

Have fun.:cheers:

-
Back